kaitak744

Swept Wings And Winglets At Low Speeds?

Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:47 am

Quick question:

I noticed Cessnas and other small planes do not have swept back wings or winglets. Is it because those two design features offer little to no advantages at low speeds?

thanks

FredT

RE: Swept Wings And Winglets At Low Speeds?

Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:12 am

Swept wings are only useful as you accelerate into the mach numbers.

Winglets are not worth the effort for most GA aircraft. You are not span limited, they would add to maintenance and cost and the aircraft are from an aerodynamical standpoint poorly finished anyway, meaning it'd be like putting jewelry on a pig. Hoerner tips or other lift-enhancing wing tip devices, which do effectively the same thing, are not uncommon though. This is especially true in STOL applications.

If you look at the more modern GA aircraft, such as the Diamond range, where more attention has been paid to aerodynamical detail, you also find winglets incorporated into the basic design.

[Edited 2008-02-11 00:13:03]
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

pilotpip

Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:39 pm

The stall charateristics also have a HUGE roll in the reason that a wing design is chosen. Rectangular wings stall at the root first which is desireable in a training aircraft because the ailerons maintain some effectiveness. Swept wings stall outboard and you have some other issues which are undesirable in trainers.

One of the primary selling points of the early citations was that they were very simple from a systems standpoint. You could jump from a kingair into a citation with minimal training.

Everything in aviation is a tradeoff.
DMI

tdscanuck

Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:15 am

Quoting Kaitak744 (Thread starter):
I noticed Cessnas and other small planes do not have swept back wings or winglets. Is it because those two design features offer little to no advantages at low speeds?

Winglets would work, but increasing the span is much easier and more effective.

Quoting Pilotpip (Reply 2):
Swept wings stall outboard and you have some other issues which are undesirable in trainers.

Swept wings only stall outboard if you've screwed up your washout. All of today's swept-wing commercial airliners stall at the root.

Tom.

pilotpip

Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:14 am

Quoting Tdscanuck (Reply 3):
Swept wings only stall outboard if you've screwed up your washout. All of today's swept-wing commercial airliners stall at the root.

Interesting. I've never heard that. Then again, the PLI, shaker and pusher should help prevent any of the above from happening.
DMI

57AZ

Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:38 am

Quoting FredT (Reply 1):
Winglets are not worth the effort for most GA aircraft.

Generally true, though they are effective for the larger cabin class twins. You'll find quite a few Cessna 400s with them now as they provide a much better MTOW and increase the average cruise speed by several knots. I have only recently seen some Piper twins being fitted with after market winglet mods, but again these are cabin class airplanes. Winglets won't make a hoot of difference for the single engine, non cabin class birds.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

Mir

Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:48 am

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 5):
Winglets won't make a hoot of difference for the single engine, non cabin class birds.

They do look cool though. I like the way that I can look out the side window of a DA42 and almost imagine that I'm flying an MD-11.  Smile

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

57AZ

Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:25 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 6):
They do look cool though

That's true-our 414A was one of the first to receive the winglet mods. IIRC, the mods did add slightly to the total wingspan by about four feet. Winglet mods are also expensive for older birds-something like $60k ballpark.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

tdscanuck

Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:01 pm

Quoting Pilotpip (Reply 4):

Quoting Tdscanuck (Reply 3):

Interesting. I've never heard that. Then again, the PLI, shaker and pusher should help prevent any of the above from happening.

The shaker is electronically simulating what used to happen on real fly-by-wire (direct cable linkage) aircraft...vortex shedding from the wing root would impinge on the elevators and shake the control column.

A tip stall is very dangerous because you lose aileron authority. If you look at a modern large commercial airliner wing you'll see fairly significant twist...the angle of attack is higher at the root. This has a double benefit; it prevents tip stalls, and it moves the wing loading inboard which is structurally more efficient.

Tom.

FredT

Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:46 pm

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 5):
Winglets won't make a hoot of difference for the single engine, non cabin class birds.

Thank you for pointing out an inaccuracy in my previoys post. I should have written "spam cans" when I wrote "GA aircraft". GA is a lot bigger than the SEPs I had in mind when typing.  Smile

Quoting Tdscanuck (Reply 8):
A tip stall is very dangerous because you lose aileron authority.

Not to mention that the tips are aft of the center of the wing lift, meaning a tip stall can give a nose up tendency... ouch!
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

57AZ

Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:40 pm

Quoting FredT (Reply 9):
GA is a lot bigger than the SEPs I had in mind when typing.

Yes. GA encompasses everything from the single engine two/four seaters up to 747s operated under Part 91.