FlyMKG
Topic Author

Night Currency And Flight Instruction

Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:29 pm

Heres the scenario for you. As a CFII do I have to be night current to take my instrument students on flights at night? I'm not really a passenger nor am I a required crewmember. If I don't have to be current does my student? I'm trying to squeeze two night flights in tonight and I think my currency is up but I don't have time to get it. Any answers would be appreciated.

FlyMKG
Essential Power, Operating Generator.

meister808

RE: Night Currency And Flight Instruction

Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:04 pm

As an instructor, you're quite likely acting as PIC, and if the students are under the hood, then you are most definitely acting as PIC.

You would need to be current to act as PIC.

So, yes, you would need to be current.

-Meister
Twin Cessna 812 Victor, Minneapolis Center, we observe your operation in the immediate vicinity of extreme precipitation

cptspeaking

Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:37 pm

Quoting FlyMKG (Thread starter):

Well, if your student is under the hood, you're essentially acting as safety pilot, which is a required position, and requires you to be current. Simple answer is yes, you have to be current. Your student doesn't, since he is receiving instruction, but you do. I'd either move them back and go do 3 landings in .4 or cancel the first to get current. 3 landings doesn't take that long provided you don't fly bomber patterns...
...and don't call me Shirley!!

DKCFII

Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:46 pm

Also if you are planning on logging any flight time as PIC at night then you yourself have to be night current. You couldn't log in your students log book, instruction at night unless you were also night current. Like CptSpeaking said, just grab a plane for .3 or .4 and get yourself current for the next 90 days. I usually keep current just by asking my students to allow me to do a lap around the pattern when we go up at night, and I ease off on the ground time a bit. That seems to work well and i haven't fallen out of currency in a while. Anyways, go do your landings and then your all set. Be well.

cptspeaking

Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:06 am

Quoting DKCFII (Reply 3):
I usually keep current just by asking my students to allow me to do a lap around the pattern when we go up at night

Ditto...this is exactly how I stay single engine night current...

Sometimes I'll turn it into a contest to see who can do the best greaser or hit a spot. I always win, of course, but it's still fun for the students and they actually do learn a lot about control of the airplane when there's a competitive aspect involved...

N231YE

Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:48 am

Quoting CptSpeaking (Reply 4):
Quoting DKCFII (Reply 3): I usually keep current just by asking my students to allow me to do a lap around the pattern when we go up at night
Ditto...this is exactly how I stay single engine night current...

I think you technically have to do 3 takeoffs and landings to a full stop in order to be night current, 14 CFR §61.57(b)...but I am not a CFII, nor even a CFI, so I can only provide input. I'll let the professionals give you the better answer.

cptspeaking

Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:59 pm

Quoting N231YE (Reply 5):

Yup you do....this is why we do stop-and-go's, especially at night...you don't necessarily have to taxi back to the end of the runway each time for it to count as a full stop, you just have to come to rest each time.

N231YE

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:22 am

Quoting CptSpeaking (Reply 6):
Yup you do....this is why we do stop-and-go's, especially at night...you don't necessarily have to taxi back to the end of the runway each time for it to count as a full stop, you just have to come to rest each time.

Stop-n-goes, that's pretty much what I do too. But, what I was commenting on, is this:

Quoting DKCFII (Reply 3):
I usually keep current just by asking my students to allow me to do a lap around the pattern when we go up at night,

One lap would mean one stop-no-go, two short than the FAR requirement (?), if I am understanding DKCFII correctly...

cptspeaking

Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:33 am

Quoting N231YE (Reply 7):
One lap would mean one stop-no-go, two short than the FAR requirement (?), if I am understanding DKCFII correctly...

Yes, however when you fly fairly regularly at night with instrument students, it's really easy to maintain night currency. I haven't had to pay to get night current in almost two years, just by doing one landing here and there courtesy of my students. It's a great teaching moment too...since instrument students aren't really concentrating on landings at all and usually haven't flown at night much either, you can take those opportunities to continue teaching them about night flying techniques, visual illusions, etc. It's a fantastic opportunity to show them how it's done and maintain your own currency at the same time...

N231YE

Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:16 pm

Quoting CptSpeaking (Reply 8):

Oh, didn't think of that...great point and understood. Thanks.

DKCFII

Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:43 pm

Glad we got that one cleared up  Smile