ReidYYZ
Topic Author

777 Mechs: "Working Together"- Did It Work?

Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:47 am

With the well known "Working together" program that was (still is??) in force during the building of the 777, being the inclusion of many never before sought after opinions, did it indeed help to make a better aircraft. I'm looking for the maintenance aspect specifically. For those of you familiar with other Boeing products that predate this program (primarily 757, 767) and now have a fair amount of time on type, did the program help make the aircraft better to maintain ie: access, simplification of unnecessarily complicated items/systems, better documentation (TSM,AMM,SRM.....etc), higher use of common -(dash) numbered item, deactivation procedures simplified/better tooling ....etc. I ask to compare to the 757/767 because, some items that you may have come across on these older models you wonder "Well, why did they do it like this...?" Were some oddities repeated?

Ever curious, Reid.

tdscanuck

RE: 777 Mechs: "Working Together"- Did It Work?

Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:43 am

Quoting ReidYYZ (Thread starter):
With the well known "Working together" program that was (still is??) in force during the building of the 777

Still is. They started using the system to work with operators on other fleets to deal with in-service issues too, although it's too late to redesign a lot of the older stuff.

Tom.

Starlionblue

RE: 777 Mechs: "Working Together"- Did It Work?

Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:04 am

I only know two anectodes:

An access hatch had the tech standing inside it on the 767. The light was at the top. Boeing thought that would be a logical place. But of course with the tech inside the light was obscured by said tech's head, and he had to hold a flashlight in his mouth. Boeing heard of this during the "working together programme" and replaced the original design with a light on either side.

Another one was the two piece flap assembly instead of the intended one piece. That way it would fit into existing autoclaves.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo