KingAirMan
Topic Author

How Can An ATP Give Dual Given?

Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:42 pm

How and when is an ATP eligible to give dual given?

For example, an ATP flies a cheyenne, can he give dual given ( If the one in the right seat is multi engine rated? what abotu not multi engine rated ? ) I have heard yes and no.. Please someone explain as I can not find it in the FARs!

411A

RE: How Can An ATP Give Dual Given?

Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:23 am

ONLY in certificated air transportation, IE; 14CFR121, and within the same company.... and NOT in 14CFR135.

flyf15

Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:45 am

Quoting 411A (Reply 1):
ONLY in certificated air transportation, IE; 14CFR121, and within the same company.... and NOT in 14CFR135.

Yep, what this boils down to in reality is that airlines select, appoint, train, qualify pilots into various flight standards (such as checkairmen, aircrew program designees, sim instructors, etc) and such positions within the company. Through the airline's operating certificate and agreements with the FAA, these pilots are authorized to provide instruction within the company to other pilots in accordance with their operation without being required to hold CFI certificates.

tb727

Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:15 am

Yeah, it is a company thing. If you are a company designated training captain, you can train a properly rated guy in that airplane. I never got my CFI or MEI or anything like that, but I am an ATP and I am a training captain at my 135 company on the plane I am Captain on. I can also give ground and teach Initial/Recurrent Training in the classroom if needed.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

flymatt2bermud

Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:45 pm

Quoting 411A (Reply 1):
ONLY in certificated air transportation, IE; 14CFR121, and within the same company.... and NOT in 14CFR135

Quoting Tb727 (Reply 3):
I am an ATP and I am a training captain at my 135 company

Training programs for 121 and 135 must be approved by the FAA. As an ATP you can provide instruction in air carrier operations be it 121.125 or 135, as provided in the air carriers Approved Training Manual.

Quoting KingAirMan (Thread starter):
ATP flies a Cheyenne, can he give dual given

Only if it is done under an FAA approved training program.

Here are some excerpts from the FAR's that apply (abbreviated)

FAR 61.167 ATP Certificate Holder Privileges.

(b) An airline transport pilot may instruct---

(1) Other pilots in air transportation service in aircraft of the category, class, and type, as applicable, for which the airline transport pilot is rated and endorse the logbook or other training record of the person to whom training has been given;

(2) In flight simulators, and flight training devices representing the aircraft referenced in paragraph (b)(1) of this section, when instructing under the provisions of this section and endorse the logbook or other training record of the person to whom training has been given;
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward" Leonardo Da Vinci