kochamLOT

Interior Noise And Engine/ Fan Sizes

Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:58 am

Just curious, are aircraft with larger engine/fans provide generally quieter rides. I flew the LH A330 with the trent engines and it was noisy. The LH a346 I flew was unbelievably quiet. When I flew a BA772, it was also pretty quiet but of course the a346 was the best of all. I sat in pretty much the same area next to a window in econ on all those flights and just came to a conclusion and wonder if anyone knows if this is true or not. I see videos of the a343 and it sounds much louder than the a346...any reason?

planewasted

RE: Interior Noise And Engine/ Fan Sizes

Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:15 am

I know this from design of silent computers, an area where large fans are popular. :
Air moving fast produces noise. With a large fan you move much air flow slowly, with a small one you move little air fast.
Should apply to jet engines also.

But airbus seems to have better noise insulation, because their planes always seems to be more quiet...

Edit: One important thing when it comes to noise in aircraft is where you are seated.
It's much less noise in front of the engines than behind them.

[Edited 2008-03-20 19:18:27]

Viscount724

Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:26 am

Personally I find the 777 to be the noisiest of all the widebodies, although the differences aren't major (compared to the 747 for example). The 777 sometimes seems fairly loud if you are roughly between the engines which I've never noticed on other widebodies. I find the A340 the quietest, followed by the A330. Again, I doubt most passengers would notice much difference.

TVNWZ

Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:40 am

Quoting PlaneWasted (Reply 1):
But airbus seems to have better noise insulation, because their planes always seems to be more quiet...

I think it is more about engines than aircraft. NW A320's are as noisy and buzzy as they come. I asked a pilot who was commuting next to me one day why and he said it was the make of the engine that gave the distinctive buzz. I don't recall the manufacturer of NW 320 engines, but the pilot claimed the same airplane with different engines would not give off that distinctive buzz. FWIW.

TUNisia

Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:44 am

The 777 is VERY noisy IMHO, but is a great plane!

The A343 is VERY QUIET!!! I flew SAS last summer from CPH-EWR and was seated in row 23 (wing - center) and the takeoff was the smoothest I've ever experienced in my life. It was almost surreal because it was so quiet... kinda felt like we were just being lifted off the ground.
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson