kearnet

Citation X Anti-collision Light: Two Locations

Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:57 am

Spotting as I often do at KLEB I have noticed that there are two configurations on the Citation X in regards to the anti collision light. Some models have it on top of the H-Stab as you would expect, and others have it below the H-Stab ridge (For lack of a better term)

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Montague Smith-WorldWide Aviation Photos
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Manas Barooah

What is the reason for the latter config. Doesn't placing it there reduce it's ability to warn of a collision especially in head-on situations?
DC-9-30 US|MD-80 US/AA|737-200 US|737-300 US/WN|737-400 US|737-700 WN|737-800 FJ/QF|F-100 US|F-28 US|Dash-8 200 US| CRJ-200 US|757-200 US/AA|767-200 DL|777-300ER EK|A319-100 US|A320-200 B6|A330-200 FJ|A380-800 EK|ATR-72 AA|B-1900D US

NBGSkyGod

RE: Citation X Anti-collision Light: Two Locations

Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:35 pm

Quoting Kearnet (Thread starter):
Spotting as I often do at KLEB

First off, I didn't think anyone else ever spotted at LEB, glad to hear there is another one.

From looking at some of the manufacturing years on Citation X's with both top and bottom beacon, it looks like its simply a customer option.
Pilots are idiots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

DashTrash

Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:10 pm

Can't remember the serial number breaks, but the aircraft with the beacon on the bottom are the HGW versions. Max takeoff weight was bumped up 300 lbs, and more powerful engines.

Beacon on the top are lower serial numbers with the standard weights.

G4Doc2004

Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:38 pm

Actually, the beacon is moved to the lower part of the fairing to accomodate a SATCOM antenna mounted inside the fairing.

[Edited 2008-04-11 13:41:29]
"Failure to prepare is preparing to fail"--Benjamin Franklin

curlyheadboy

Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:13 pm

I was about to start a thread on the Citation X lights, so I guessed I'd better join this one.
I have a question: Does the CX have intermittent landing lights? I ask because I noticed one coming in for landing at my local airport (LIN), in daylight, and I noticed that, on that particular aircraft, landing lights were coming on and off at regular intervals all the way to touchdown, I couldn't answer myself about the reason why, to the point I thought of a malfunction. But the "blinking" was so regular that I thought it might be a normal feature. Is it normal? And if so, what's the purpose of having intermittent landing lights?
Thank you.  Smile
If God had wanted men to fly he would have given them more money...

G4Doc2004

Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:10 pm

Curleyheadboy, those are pulse lights, an option that "flashes" the landing lights in the root of each wing on and off, to increase visibility. The Citation X I work on does not have them, but I have seen them on NetJets aircraft.
"Failure to prepare is preparing to fail"--Benjamin Franklin

curlyheadboy

Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:00 pm

Quoting G4Doc2004 (Reply 5):
Curleyheadboy, those are pulse lights, an option that "flashes" the landing lights in the root of each wing on and off, to increase visibility. The Citation X I work on does not have them, but I have seen them on NetJets aircraft.

Thank you for answering my question, those flashing were infact the wing root lights, while the nose gear light was steady. It looks like the Citation X has a lot of options for the customer to choose about lights!  Wink I had never seen something like that. I think it's safe to assume those pulse lights are used only during daytime, aren't them?
If God had wanted men to fly he would have given them more money...

cptspeaking

Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:10 pm

Quoting CURLYHEADBOY (Reply 6):
I think it's safe to assume those pulse lights are used only during daytime, aren't them?

Nope...you'll see them at night too. I've seen them on several different types of aircraft, from GA to 737s...
...and don't call me Shirley!!

DashTrash

Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:08 am

Quoting G4Doc2004 (Reply 3):
Actually, the beacon is moved to the lower part of the fairing to accomodate a SATCOM antenna mounted inside the fairing.

Pretty sure that's not the only reason for the beacon moved. I've heard of ground security systems in there too. Also, at least at my company, the beacon location does disclose whether or not you're flying an HGW airplane. Serial number will tell you as well.

Quoting G4Doc2004 (Reply 5):

I think it's an option on the newer X's. Works off the recog light switch. You can select pulse or steady with them.