744lover
Topic Author

LH 737 Lightning Strike

Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:18 pm

Hi there!!!

I just received some pictures from an incidente that happened to a LH 737 (don't know whether a -300 or -500 version) in Sofia, Bulgaria.

After takeoff, the aircraft received a major lightning strike at the elevator. The pilot noticed some serious shaking in the control wheel and decided to return to the airport.

I'm happy that everyone made it safely

Best regards!
GHN

EMBQA

RE: LH 737 Lightning Strike

Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:39 pm

Bom dia....!!

This happened a week or so back... reported as a 747. Just shows the power of mother nature. Blew the Trim Tab and rods clean off the plane
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Jerald01

Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:02 pm

Just curious... Do the pictures show where the lightning struck the airplane, or are they showing where the lightning departed the airplane?

Most of the lightning strikes that I am familiar with (I date back to the pre-composite-aircraft-parts days) generally involved the lightning hitting at one point on the airframe and exiting at another point. I've know of wing-tips being blown off when lightning hit the nose radome, tailcones getting knocked off when lightning hits the wing-tips, etc.
"There may be old pilots, and there may be bold pilots, but there are darn few green cows"

miamiair

Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:03 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 1):
Trim Tab and rods clean off the plane

That will give the column a buzz for sure. That damage appears a bit extensive though.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

EMBQA

Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:37 pm

Quoting Jerald01 (Reply 2):
Just curious... Do the pictures show where the lightning struck the airplane, or are they showing where the lightning departed the airplane?

That is an exit wound.... entry wounds are normally pretty small and hard to find. Entry wounds normally look like a small spot weld. Anyway, I heard once that the actual lightening bolt is actually about the size of a human hair and nine times out of ten the entry is at the nose area or radome..exit on the tail, tip of the tail or in this case the horizontal. What happened here was the path out was the Horizontal Trim Tab rods. The lightening traveled down the rod until it got to the trim tab bearing rod end. That offered a greater resistance and stopped the path. When the energy built up.. it 'exploded' and blew off the rod ends and trim tab. Quite common actually.

[Edited 2008-04-11 11:42:01]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

HAWK21M

Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:41 am

Quoting Jerald01 (Reply 2):
Just curious... Do the pictures show where the lightning struck the airplane, or are they showing where the lightning departed the airplane

The Size looks like an exit point.
Although must admit that this damage seems to be a bit more severe than most Lightening strike damage.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)