KingAirMan
Topic Author

Flight Instructor Time Out

Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:40 pm

Is there a number of hours a CFI can instruct in a day ? a week ? a year ? can one fly 8 hours a day 5 days a week ?
granted its a lot of work, im just curious as if we have a limit to our work , as I have never come across the scenario until now

futurecaptain

RE: Flight Instructor Time Out

Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:06 am

You cannot instruct for more than 8 hours in a 24 hour period.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

bok269

Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:12 am

Is that flight time or total time they are with a student?
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

futurecaptain

Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:38 am

The regs just say "8 hours flight instruction" so I assume that means any time they are acting as an instructor. Flight, sim, tutor, ect. All time counts against the 8 hours.

If you notice, instructors who fly cross countries at night usually show up late to the airport the next day. Cross countries can really screw with the "8 hours in any consecutive 24 hour period" rule.

bahadir

Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:45 pm

Futurecaptain.
Regulations are considered as 'flight time' not 'duty time'.
Earthbound misfit I

futurecaptain

Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:07 pm

Quoting Bahadir (Reply 4):

Do you think sim time is included in the number or no? The way FAR 61.195 is worded, to me it seems like everything should count but I honestly don't know and have never asked.

Quoting KingAirMan (Thread starter):

I'm curious as to why you ask this question. You say you are a flight instructor, you should know the answer already.

DKCFII

Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:06 pm

I have always considered my 8 hrs of instruction as "Dual Given" flight time. Which means no more than 8 hours in an airplane with a student per 24 hour period.

meister808

Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:23 pm

Quoting Bahadir (Reply 4):

Yep. Flight Training would be time in an aircraft. You can do as much ground briefing, simulator, FTD, etc. you want, but no more than 8 hours of Flight Training in any 24-hour consecutive period.

-Meister
Twin Cessna 812 Victor, Minneapolis Center, we observe your operation in the immediate vicinity of extreme precipitation

KingAirMan
Topic Author

Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:54 pm

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 5):

I'm curious as to why you ask this question. You say you are a flight instructor, you should know the answer already.

Despite what everyone thinks... sometimes one has to swallow ones pride and admit they do not know everything, especially a situation in which we may be rarely faced with. I always tell my students up front. If I dont know, I m not gonna lie, Im going to look it up, and tell you .

thegreatchecko

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:35 am

§ 61.195 Flight instructor limitations and qualifications.

A person who holds a flight instructor certificate is subject to the following limitations:

(a) Hours of training. In any 24-consecutive-hour period, a flight instructor may not conduct more than 8 hours of flight training.

(My emphasis added)

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 5):

One of the signs of a good flight instructor is their ability to say, "I don't know," and to search out the answer.

It is interesting to note, that once the ink dries on that new CFI certificate, one doesn't automatically know everything.

I'm actually more surprised this didn't come up in KingAirMan's training at some point, it is kind of important.

Checko
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

KingAirMan
Topic Author

Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:42 am

Quoting TheGreatChecko (Reply 9):
One of the signs of a good flight instructor is their ability to say, "I don't know," and to search out the answer.

Thanks for the kind words and agreement on the topic, I am suprised it did not come up in my training too, I have heard it said before , but just wanted to confirm it. I am just now coming across this scenario and thanks to all of you who instruct and are open about not knowing something!

futurecaptain

Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:22 am

I believe the official definition of "flight training" is the key to this.

Here is what the AOPA has to say...
"“Flight training” is defined in 49 CFR 1552.1(b) as “instruction received from a flight school in an aircraft or aircraft simulator.” TSA interprets this definition to include only that training that a candidate could use toward a new airman’s certificate or rating."

To me this means that the 8 hours includes all flight and sim time.

But, I admit, I am still working on my CFI and really havn't thought about this much.

pilotpip

Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:21 pm

AOPA isn't the final authority. Your POI/Inspector is. I'd talk to them. Interpretation may vary but the general consensus is 8 hours of flight time. I had many 15 hour days to prove this.
DMI

Maverick623

Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:59 pm

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 11):
"“Flight training” is defined in 49 CFR 1552.1(b) as “instruction received from a flight school in an aircraft or aircraft simulator.”

I think the words "flight school" and "instruction received" make that reg. somewhat irrelevant. Just my two cents worth....

And I could care less what the TSA says about duty times... not their jurisdiction.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way