Sonic
Topic Author

Pre-flight Prayers

Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:26 pm

It seems it is a common practice in some airlines for a pilot(?) to pray before the flight (Royal Brunei for example) and this prayer is said aloud to the passengers in the similar matter as the safety information.

I wonder are these prayers played from a recording usually or are they done by a pilot (captain, first officer) real-time? If the latter is the case, is it mandatory for the pilots? Which airlines has the practice of pre-flight prayers? Are there any carriers based in non-muslim countries which uses the practice of pre-flight prayers?

I live in Europe and only heard pre-flight prayers several times but maybe somebody who is living in areas where this is common or is flying frequently there or is working for an airline practicising this could shed some more light on this.

[Edited 2008-04-21 16:27:06]

imiakhtar

RE: Pre-flight Prayers

Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:44 pm

Quoting Sonic (Thread starter):
I wonder are these prayers played from a recording usually or are they done by a pilot (captain, first officer) real-time? If the latter is the case, is it mandatory for the pilots? Which airlines has the practice of pre-flight prayers? Are there any carriers based in non-muslim countries which uses the practice of pre-flight prayers?

The prayer is done real-time by the pilot. The prayer ( for when embarking on any form of transport be it a camel or a B777) is not mandatory but preferable. I don't know whether any airlines have officially got it down on their checklist before departure. My last trip to Pakistan on PK, the prayer was recited on the outbound flight but not the return, so I guess it all depends on whether the pilots can be bothered. I've never heard of a "non-muslim" airline reciting it.

Regards
 Smile
Whatever happened to Leon Trotsky?

411A

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:47 am

These prayers are normally (but not always) recorded specifically for the cabin PA system, by an outside vendor, duly authorized by the airline in question.

Analog

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:59 am

Doesn't AS distribute prayer cards with meals?

Quoting Sonic (Thread starter):
It seems it is a common practice in some airlines for a pilot(?) to pray before the flight (Royal Brunei for example) and this prayer is said aloud to the passengers in the similar matter as the safety information.

What are these prayers about? Are they thanks for something (a job, opportunity to travel, etc.), a statement of faith, a request for protection, or something else? A request for protection could be kind of disturbing (not that I would understand Arabic).

imiakhtar

Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:13 am

Quoting 411A (Reply 2):
These prayers are normally (but not always) recorded specifically for the cabin PA system, by an outside vendor, duly authorized by the airline in question.

In my experience, they've always been recited in person by a pilot, or on occasion cabin crew.

Quoting Analog (Reply 3):
Are they thanks for something (a job, opportunity to travel, etc.)

checkmark 

Precisely
Whatever happened to Leon Trotsky?

ReidYYZ

Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:33 am

From my parents, well mostly my Ma, before any long trip be it car or aircraft. I still do the sign of the Cross. It drives my wife nuts "What are you doing that for?? Do you think there is a problem?"

HAWK21M

Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:57 pm

I knew a Pilot thatr started off his First flight of the Day,With a prayer in the NWW & a tap on the RH side of the radome.This was a B737.
 Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

LH4116

Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:09 pm

I believe that the prayers make the Muslims onboard the flight feel more safe, especially the ones that are afraid of flying. It's always nice to know that Allah is on your side.

Does anyone know if airlines like IR, EY, OR, etc also make prayers before pushback
SAS Plus is Business Class made faux!

BWilliams

Tue May 06, 2008 9:35 pm

Quoting Imiakhtar (Reply 4):
In my experience, they've always been recited in person by a pilot, or on occasion cabin crew.

On MS, it is part of the IFE system. I was on MS 772s and 735s, and on both types, it was a recording played over the IFE with the text of the prayers scrolled in Arabic on the screens.
Regards, Brad Williams

OPNLguy

Tue May 06, 2008 10:13 pm

Doesn't AS distribute prayer cards with meals?

Continental (1980s) used to have a really nice one--I think I still have one...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Starlionblue

Tue May 06, 2008 11:15 pm

A request for protection could be kind of disturbing (not that I would understand Arabic).

That all depends on your cultural context.  Wink Many people are more fatalistic than Westerners.

BTW on Royal Brunei they wouldn't be speaking Arabic, but Malay.

Quoting LH4116 (Reply 7):

I believe that the prayers make the Muslims onboard the flight feel more safe, especially the ones that are afraid of flying. It's always nice to know that Allah is on your side.

Aren't you now assuming what the pax think?  Wink
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo