readytotaxi

Long Haul V Short Hops, Cockpit Crew Choice.

Sun May 04, 2008 7:18 pm

Is there a preferred duty with you pilots, the long haul or a few short hops a day?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

PGNCS

RE: Long Haul V Short Hops, Cockpit Crew Choice.

Sun May 04, 2008 8:19 pm

Quoting Readytotaxi (Thread starter):
Is there a preferred duty with you pilots, the long haul or a few short hops a day?

It's all personal preference. Long haul is generally more efficient (at my company, anyway) meaning that you can get more flying hours per time away from base, resulting in less time at work, but some people (like me) don't sleep well on those trips. I have now gone back to narrowbody domestic and fly three (or so) legs a day on average. That's my choice, and am much happier and more well-rested; I also like my current equipment better than my last aircraft, so that's a bonus.

HAWK21M

Mon May 05, 2008 5:17 am

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 1):
I also like my current equipment better than my last aircraft.

What are/were they?

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

wilco737

Mon May 05, 2008 12:42 pm

I enjoyed short haul more because it was more flying! somtimes 5 flights a day! and loads of landings Big grin Now on long haul it's one max 2 flights a day, less landings and with the time difference it's sometimes pretty hard to get enough sleep...
Short Haul with the MD11F is FUN Big grin Big grin

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

zeke

Mon May 05, 2008 1:51 pm

Quoting Readytotaxi (Thread starter):

I prefer long haul, as it gives me more time off, and less times per month I have to go to work.
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

lowrider

Tue May 06, 2008 1:05 am

Right now, long haul. But most of my career has been short haul, so I may just still be enjoying the novelty. I like having fewer commutes per month and getting more of my work done as once.

[Edited 2008-05-05 18:06:20]
Proud OOTSK member

sanjet

Tue May 06, 2008 7:27 pm

I find the long hauls to be quite boring and you have to usually lay over away from home and sit in the airplanes doing nothing for 6 hours but enjoy the view. The advantage with short haul, with my company anyways, is that I get to come back home the same night after flying, No lay overs and I actualy fly more hours than the long haul pilots. Nothing more fun than flying a Dash-8 doing 6-11 legs in a day, each leg being 1-2 hours; lots of action.
Each pilots have their choices though...
Will Fly For Food!