ryu2

How Does The Earthquake In China Affect ATC?

Mon May 12, 2008 6:06 pm

How is Chengdu FIR doing? It occupies a pretty large chunk of airspace and the ACC controls many major airways and routes -- including almost all the HKG-Europe traffic. Is traffic being rerouted? Any CX or other pilots here have first-hand reports?

BAE146QT

RE: How Does The Earthquake In China Affect ATC?

Mon May 12, 2008 6:33 pm

Are you asking as a pilot, or as an enthusiast? Or has information sharing in that area of the world become so bad?

Purely speculation, but I would hope that they have a business continuity (AKA 'disaster recovery') strategy for their operations. I would expect that they have the ability to run ATC out of an alternate site. In fact, their ATC may not be anywhere near the affected territory.

Where there are systems which cannot be duplicated or failsafed, (ILS perhaps?) I would expect that the procedures at individual airports would be modified accordingly.

I don't honestly know and I'm only really posting this to speculate on the situation - if it bumps it up the list then that's good too, I suppose  Wink
Todos mis dominós son totalmente pegajosos

ryu2

Mon May 12, 2008 6:57 pm

Dont worry only plane I fly is on Flight Simulator!!!

HAWK21M

Tue May 13, 2008 8:10 am

Unless the Effect is on the Airport under the purview of that ATC.There will be no effect.If it is,then a diversion will be sought by concerned Airlines.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Bellerophon

Tue May 13, 2008 11:05 am

Ryu2

...How is Chengdu FIR doing...a pretty large chunk of airspace...ACC controls many major airways...almost all the HKG-Europe traffic. Is traffic being rerouted?...

Yes, several flights were affected, mainly because ATC communications were lost for a period of time.

BA had a HKG-LHR flight divert to PEK, due to loss of comms, and I'm told VS and AF did likewise.

Best regards

Bellerophon

BAE146QT

Tue May 13, 2008 4:47 pm

Quoting Ryu2 (Reply 2):
Dont worry only plane I fly is on Flight Simulator!!!

I honestly wasn't having a pop at you chap, and I expect that a pilot would be more interested in NOTAMs than A.NET if (s)he though that (s)he would be affected by it. It was more a comment on the state of the world.

And there came Bellerophon, with exactly what you needed. He's a gent.  Smile

I wonder if any aircraft were on approach or actually landing when the earthquake hit?
Todos mis dominós son totalmente pegajosos

Viscount724

Tue May 13, 2008 10:15 pm

Quoting Bellerophon (Reply 4):
Yes, several flights were affected, mainly because ATC communications were lost for a period of time.

BA had a HKG-LHR flight divert to PEK, due to loss of comms, and I'm told VS and AF did likewise.

Related recent news item.
http://www.shanghaidaily.com/sp/arti...200805/20080514/article_359490.htm