Soxfan
Topic Author

What Makes The "Ding" Sound?

Mon May 12, 2008 9:01 pm

Hi Everyone,

I know this is kind of a dumb question, but is there technically an instrument that makes the "ding" chimes sound on aircraft? I've heard different tones on different planes (Boeing 757, Boeing 777, Airbus, MD, Embraer, etc.) and I'm just curious if there's any specific instrument used to record it. Thanks!  Smile
Pilot: "Request push, which way should we face?" JFK Ground: "You better face the front, sir, or you'll scare the pax!"

twal1011727

RE: What Makes The "Ding" Sound?

Mon May 12, 2008 10:38 pm

Most if not all transport category A/C have a interphone/ PA amplifier black box in the E&E bay.
It takes cockpit headset/microphones and cabin telephone and speakers and channels it thru this box.
Whenever a call is initiated, the PA black box sends an elect chime thru the speaker system to tell the cabin or cockpit that there is a call. There are different amount of chimes to announce a interphone call.
All conversations/calls go thru this box.
Also thru this box is the Pax address(hence PA) so pilots and FAs can talk to the pax

"Ding"...."You are now free to move about the country"
No WN didn't have the ding first but they sure have used it to their advantage.

No doubt somebody will assist in my explanations

KD

Max777geek

Tue May 13, 2008 12:16 pm

If you refer to the noise you hear right after landing, while taxiing, it may be the switching of the electrical bus from the engines generators to the apu or ground power. At least, on the md80s, it's pretty noisy. Maybe on airbus or last boeing that's automatic and silent.

Soxfan
Topic Author

Tue May 13, 2008 12:23 pm

Quoting Max777geek (Reply 2):

The "ding" I'm actually referring to is the intercom chime (i.e. low ding=fasten seat belt or indication from pilot to cabin crew, high+low ding=intercom call, high ding=passenger call button). I'm just wondering if there's specifically an instrument (a bell, perhaps?) that makes that sound (like, as the first respondent said, the one you hear on the Southwest commercials) and why that sound is produced somewhat differently on different types of aircrafts, such as the ones I listed in my OP. Thanks  Smile
Pilot: "Request push, which way should we face?" JFK Ground: "You better face the front, sir, or you'll scare the pax!"

JAGflyer

Tue May 13, 2008 1:38 pm

I believe the modern aircraft have a computer generated "ding" while older aircraft may use a physical bell which "dings" when the button is pressed.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

rwessel

Tue May 13, 2008 8:17 pm

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 4):
I believe the modern aircraft have a computer generated "ding" while older aircraft may use a physical bell which "dings" when the button is pressed.

I have trouble believing that any aircraft with an actual public-address-type intercom system would actually have a mechanical bell for the chime. It's quite trivial to make the intercom speakers produce that sound (even if you were building the circuit out of vacuum tubes).

57AZ

Wed May 14, 2008 8:27 pm

The modern aircraft have it electrically designed into the system. Using bell or whistle codes for communication is a holdover from the pre-radio days of navigation and railways. Railroads used a communication line that was connected between the cars on the rear of the train and the locomotive cab. The communications cords (later air lines) were connected to a gong (later a whistle) in the cab. The conductor would signal the engineman when to start, stop, back, etc. using the bell/whistle code. On steamers and early diesel motor vessels, the bridge's engine order telegraph was connected to a gong in the engine room. When the command was changed, the gong would sound the bell code. Early steamers used only the bell code, but later steamers used the bell only to alert the engineer on duty that the orders had changed. A mechanical pointer would point to the new orders. Answering the new orders from the engine room would sound a gong on the bridge, indicating receipt of the new orders and the pointer on the receiving telegraph would also reflect the change.

Railroads also used chimes to announce the start of meal service in the dining cars. A steward would walk through the cars ringing the chimes, announcing the start of the seating and directing the passengers to the location of the dining car.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

G4LASRamper

Wed May 14, 2008 10:21 pm

G4's MD-80 series fleet has a mix of electronically generated and mechanical chimes installed. So yes, there are mechanical chimes still flying on some transport aircraft today.
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig." - Porco Rosso

Soxfan
Topic Author

Wed May 14, 2008 10:23 pm

Thanks for your comments, everyone, I appreciate it! It's been a topic that I've wondered about for a while now, so I thought I might bring the question to the experts on A.Net!  Smile

HAWK21M

Thu May 15, 2008 6:20 am

Just to add there are Two chimes....High & low.....A combination of both or singly used identifies a call,either cockpit call.attendant call from seat,attendant call from toilet.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Soxfan
Topic Author

Thu May 15, 2008 4:39 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 9):

Correct, thanks for that...the next time you're flying on different aircraft types (i.e. Embraer vs. Airbus vs. Boeing), if you listen to the type of chimes you might understand where my question is coming from! (I hope  Wink)

Sasha

Fri May 16, 2008 12:01 am

I noticed on 737NG when flaps are lowered to 20 (or 15) degrees, chime is triggered automatically?

Is this procedure true for all aircraft. I assumed this is a sign for crew walking about the cabin checking up on pax belts... to stop walking about the cabin  Smile and that plane is on final pattern for landing...

Would be grateful if someone confirmed or explained the real deal with this.

Thank you!
An2/24/28,Yak42,Tu154/134,IL18/62/96,B737/757/767,A310/320/319,F100,BAe146,EMB-145,CRJ,A340-600,B747-400,A-330-300,A-340

Soxfan
Topic Author

Fri May 16, 2008 2:13 am

Quoting SashA (Reply 11):

I always assumed that the "ding" sound was triggered by a button pressed by someone from the flight deck, but being in no way involved with the aviation industry I could be wrong. The only reason I think this is because the timing of the "ding" as a signal for the cabin crew to move around might be affected by the presence of, or potential for, turbulence which may prevent them from going about their duties.

And a little off topic, but I know that during the descent, Delta does a "quadruple-ding," I guess it could be called, to indicate the descent to flight attendants, while AA does a single ding. What code do other airlines use?

Goldenshield

Fri May 16, 2008 11:43 am

Quoting Rwessel (Reply 5):
It's quite trivial to make the intercom speakers produce that sound

A quick search on Google provides many links to electronics companies who have plans for making many different styles of audible alarms, including chimes, and judging how small they are, they shouldn't be more than $10 to make.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

HAWK21M

Sat May 17, 2008 7:49 am

Quoting SashA (Reply 11):
I noticed on 737NG when flaps are lowered to 20 (or 15) degrees, chime is triggered automatically?

On the B737....Seat Belt & No Smoking signs are linked to the Flap & gear positions if the switch is in Auto.
regds
MEL

Santhosh

Thu May 29, 2008 6:05 am

I was wondering if the sound of the chime would be available somewhere in the net for downloading purpose in an mp3 format. I just love that chime. If somebody know where I can fine one, kindly drop in the url.

Regards
George
Happy Landings :)

knoxibus

Thu May 29, 2008 7:10 am

On Airbus A/C (A320Fam, Long Range and A380), the whole interphone, passenger address functionalities are managed by the CIDS (Cabin Intercommunication Data System).

It has up to three controllers (called directors) and they are the one generating high or low frequency chimes which can have different frequency of repeat and different length with at least 8 or 9 different tones. They are then broadcasted through the cabin and/or crew area loudspeakers.

All these chimes are entirely "customisable" (pax call, cockpit call, emergency evacuation, No Smoking or seat belt signs activation, etc...)
No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.

helvknight

Thu May 29, 2008 12:01 pm

Quoting Soxfan (Reply 12):
And a little off topic, but I know that during the descent, Delta does a "quadruple-ding," I guess it could be called, to indicate the descent to flight attendants, while AA does a single ding. What code do other airlines use?

LX do a quadruple ding to indicate when the aircraft is on either the downwind leg or on final, I'm not sure which. It's pretty soon before landing. They also do a quadruple ding when the aircraft is next for takeoff. if you look up at the PSU you'll see that it is actually a double cycle of the seat belt sign or the no smoking sign.

Many Airbii also give a ding when the gear finishes it's transition either to fully up and stowed or down and locked. It coincides with the exit signs going on or off.
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member - Groucho Marx

Tod

Thu May 29, 2008 2:25 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 13):
they shouldn't be more than $10 to make.

But like many things that go into a commercial aircraft x100 by the time that component is deemed airworthy.

Tod

TimT

Sat May 31, 2008 1:00 am

B-757 have that chime hooked to an aneroid- at 10,000 feet, "DING". At least on the cofiguration we have

b6a322

Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:32 am

Quoting Santhosh (Reply 15):
I was wondering if the sound of the chime would be available somewhere in the net for downloading purpose in an mp3 format
. I just love that chime. If somebody know where I can fine one, kindly drop in the url.

I have one in Mp3 format on my phone (the High-Low Seatbelt ding) that I use as my text message tone. I'd be more than happy to send it to you via email or text message if you PM me.
The content I post are my own thoughts, nothing more. :)

pmk

Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:32 am

I recall being on a Sun Country DC-10 and the chime was obviously mechanical, and broken! Rather than making a reverberating ding sound it made a short, non-resonant "clank" when activated.

PMK

HAWK21M

Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:23 am

Quoting TimT (Reply 19):
B-757 have that chime hooked to an aneroid- at 10,000 feet, "DING". At least on the cofiguration we have

I guess you are referring to the Cabin Alt warning.
regds
MEL.

tdscanuck

Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:09 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 22):
Quoting TimT (Reply 19):

I guess you are referring to the Cabin Alt warning.

Cabin Alt warning is a horn, and it goes off higher than 10,000' I think.

TimT is talking about the automatic ding wired to the airplane (not cabin) altitude.

Tom.

dynamicsguy

Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:37 pm

With apologies to Monty Python - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arCITMfxvEc - the noise must be made by the machine which goes "ding".  

Northwest727

Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:16 pm

The different ding sounds between different airplane manufacturers and models is like a Mac vs. PC pop-up information box (whatever its called) sound. They each personalize it, and of course, like a computer, the ding today is electronic.

etherealsky

Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:35 am

It doesn't count as an airliner, but I've seen the chime/bell mechanism from a King Air 100; it was a little box with wires coming from it located in the center of the roof of the cabin, and after we removed it it made a dinging noise whenever we shook it. Since King Airs do not have doorbells (to my knowledge), I assume that's what it was  
"And that's why you always leave a note..."

b78710

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:39 am

if i remember rightly on the B744 all chimes heard in the cabin are generated by the PAC (Passenger Address Controller), flight deck chimes are generated by the MAWEA (Modular Avionics Warning Electronic Assembly)

Both the PAC and MAWEA are located in the lower 41 avionics bay. The MAWEA is a Card file holder in the right hand crawlway. If i remember right, its the aural warning card, in particular, in the MAWEA that generates the chime. But I'm a little hazy on that

KELPkid

Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:04 pm

Whoever makes the electronic "dingers" must have cranked out a few million for the Ford Motor Company in the 1980's   My parents and I all drove Fords in the 1980's, and all of our cars had an electronic ding that sounded like that of an airliner.
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

Max Q

Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:02 am

Thats classic stuff Dynamics Guy.

Monty Python never gets old !

Graham Chapman RIP
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

babybus

Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:25 pm

BA aircraft have a ding when the aircraft enters the active runway. Is that somehow automatically generated or does a flight deck member push a button?
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

SirThomas

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:46 pm

I have always wondered what all the 'bongs' were for during take off and the like   Interesting to read through all of this  

On a related topic, does anyone know what all the coloured lights on the ceiling refer to?

Tom  
Flown On: A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/AT45/734/736/738/744/DH8D/T204/T154/IL62/T134/IL-18/An-24

b78710

Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:37 pm

pink is attendant to attendant call
orange is toilet to attendant call
blue is seat to attendant call

on our aircraft anyway

Soxfan
Topic Author

Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:21 pm

Quoting b78710 (Reply 32):
orange is toilet to attendant call

What's the procedure when this light is illuminated? Seems to put FA's in a bit of an awkward position...

planewasted

Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:30 pm

As an electrical engineer, I guess that on older airplanes, it's some kind of electrical oscillator generating the sounds. And on newer ones, it's is a digital "recording" read from a solid state flash memory.

[Edited 2010-10-29 12:30:38]

eoinnz

Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:09 am

Quoting Soxfan (Reply 33):
What's the procedure when this light is illuminated? Seems to put FA's in a bit of an awkward position...

Thankfully in nearly 6 years of flying I've never had this light go off for anything serious.

It's usually someone pushing the flight attendant call button thinking it is the button for flushing the toilet or a child being a child and pushing all the buttons.

If pressed on Airbus aircraft:
An orange light appears on the AIP (Area Indication Panel - the unit that you see all the different colours from hanging from the ceiling) nearest to the toilet were the button was pushed

An orange light appears outside the toilet

The crew also get a message on the CIP identifying them to which toilet it is.

On Boeing the crew don't get a message on the CIP as that is an Airbus feature. Boeing also don't call it an AIP but it is essentially the same thing (I don't actually know what it is called on Boeing aircraft. We only get taught the name on Airbus aircraft)

If the alert goes off you go to the toilet, knock and ask if everything is OK. They usually say yes and open up wondering what they've done. If there is no response, then you would unlock the door and pray it's nothing serious.

KevinL1011

Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:07 am

Quoting PlaneWasted (Reply 34):
As an electrical engineer, I guess that on older airplanes, it's some kind of electrical oscillator generating the sounds.

On the 'ol DC-1 and a half they used this.

On modern aircraft it's a simple audio tone generator.

[Edited 2010-10-31 01:13:14]
474218, Carl, You will be missed.