Aerotik
Topic Author

Advice For An 19 Year Old Who Wants To Be A Pilot

Tue May 20, 2008 5:36 pm

I am seeking a mentor or correspondent for my 19 year old student whose dream is to get trained to fly commercially. He subscribes to Flying already and is now looking into flight schools. Can you assist him by giving him some advice about training, preferred schools, airlines, etc.? Thanks in advance for your help. Keep your turbines spinning!
"ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCEPT EUROPA. ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE." - HAL 9000

deltaamtrak058

RE: Advice For An 19 Year Old Who Wants To Be A Pilot

Tue May 20, 2008 5:43 pm

Hello,
I just turned 18 and am working on an instrument rating and commercial. PM me and I will be more than happy to go into the details of flight treaining.
The engine is the heart of an aeroplane, but the pilot is its soul. -Sir Walter Raleigh

chase

Tue May 20, 2008 8:13 pm

Purdue University has a good program. I live in the town, and my wife is pursuing a Ph.D. at Purdue, but in a field completely unrelated to aviation. But if I can be of any assistance, send me a private message.

http://www.tech.purdue.edu/at/aboutus/index.cfm

dl767captain

Tue May 20, 2008 9:34 pm

Hey i'm 18 and am going to start working towards my license this summer, i live in san diego so i will be attending CSUSM for college and go to flight school at CLD.

lowrider

Tue May 20, 2008 10:58 pm

If you haven't found anyone yet, shoot me a message and I will share what little I know.
Proud OOTSK member

futureualpilot

Wed May 21, 2008 1:08 am

If you'd like the viewpoint of a CFI, contact me and I'd be happy to help.
Life is better when you surf.

AirWillie6475

RE: Advice For An 19 Year Old Who Wants To Be A Pi

Wed May 21, 2008 4:47 pm

Quoting Aerotik (Thread starter):
Advice For An 19 Year Old Who Wants To Be A Pilot

Go to college.... Maybe get the initial ratings like the private and instrument. I would hold off on the commercial. With oil going record levels with no end in sight being an airline pilot is not the way to go. In all honesty if I was at that age again I would have focused on a real career where I would have made more money and been home like some of my buddies who chose a different career. You can PM if you have any questions.

APFPilot1985

Wed May 21, 2008 5:59 pm

My best advice for him would to remember that there are other ways to get involved in Commercial Aviation that don't involve the airlines and can be much more lucrative.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

SLUAviator

Wed May 28, 2008 9:35 pm

I did the college route, CFI, and am now flying for my second airline. I'd be happy to help with advice or answering questions in any way I can. Shoot me a message and I'll get back to you!
What do I know? I just fly 'em.......

WESTERN737800

Fri May 30, 2008 8:59 pm

The first thing I would do is think of something you would like for a career other than flying. You should have something to fall back on. I've had friends who were great pilots and they lost medicals. When you first get into flying everything is new and exciting. After I was flying a while, I found I was away from friends and family more than what I wanted to be. Another thing I would do is go up with an instrument insturctor and fly on an IFR in the soup. I spent $26,000 on my ratings and decided I didn't want to be an instrument pilot. About the only non instrument flying around my area is ag flying and I didn't want to do that. It takes a special kind of person to be in aviation, be it pilots, controllers, or ground crews. Aviation is a 24-7 365 day/year business. If you get in to it the vast majority of people you meet will be friends for life, there are a lot of great people in the industry. Feel free to email me if you have questions and I'll tell ya what little I know. Good luck.
Bring back Western Airlines!