Starlionblue
Topic Author

Re-engined Do-24. How And Why?

Wed May 21, 2008 10:44 am

I saw this lovely pic:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ander Aguirre - AirTeamImages

I looked up the aircraft and found that production stopped in 1945. Those engines are modern turboprops, apparently P&W PTBA-45. The original http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornier_Do_24 seems to be engined with radials.

My questions are: Would this be a lot of work? Why would they do this? And finally (tongue in cheek): Isn't this "defacing" a historic aircraft?

More pics:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Javier Gonzalez - Iberian Spotters
View Large View Medium

Photo © Andreas Barowski

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Stoney

RE: Re-engined Do-24. How And Why?

Wed May 21, 2008 11:27 am

This is a pic of the Do-24 that Iren Dornier, the grandson of the famous aviation pioneer Claude Dornier, rebuilt to fly the route the late Do-X took around the world. This plane itself was a piece in a museum for a long time and Iren had to take her to the Philippines for restoration and admin purposes.

There's a great book out there, "Logbuch der Träume" in German, describing the whole spirit, the long way back to flying condition etc... official website

In my opinion it's not defacing a historic aircraft, since having this beautiful bird back in the air probably wouldn't be possible using just original parts. And I guess we all agree, a plane should be flying through the air and not sitting on the ground waiting for it to be turned into someone's next ten-pack...
BAZL - Bundesamt gegen Zivilluftfahrt - royally screwing around with swiss aviation

Starlionblue
Topic Author

Wed May 21, 2008 11:31 am

Quoting Stoney (Reply 1):

In my opinion it's not defacing a historic aircraft, since having this beautiful bird back in the air probably wouldn't be possible using just original parts. And I guess we all agree, a plane should be flying through the air and not sitting on the ground waiting for it to be turned into someone's next ten-pack...

Very well put! Big grin
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

aeroweanie

Wed May 21, 2008 4:30 pm

The Do 24TT not only has turboprops replacing radial engines, it has a whole new wing. It was developed as a testbed for new technologies that Dornier had developed.

BAE146QT

Wed May 21, 2008 5:58 pm

First time I have ever seen an aircraft that looked better in the water than it does in flight.

Quoting AeroWeanie (Reply 3):
It was developed as a testbed for new technologies that Dornier had developed.

It's intriguing that a pre-WWII aircraft was used as a technology testbed in the late 1970s/early 1980s, (according to the website). Part of me thinks this is unusual, and another part of me reckons that Cessna has been doing it for a couple of generations now...
Todos mis dominós son totalmente pegajosos

A342

Thu May 22, 2008 5:49 pm

Quoting AeroWeanie (Reply 3):
The Do 24TT not only has turboprops replacing radial engines, it has a whole new wing. It was developed as a testbed for new technologies that Dornier had developed.

And it is now an amphibian - the original aircraft was a pure flying boat.

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 4):
t's intriguing that a pre-WWII aircraft was used as a technology testbed in the late 1970s/early 1980s

IIRC, Dornier wanted to highlight the company's heritage.
Exceptions confirm the rule.

KELPkid

Thu May 22, 2008 6:05 pm

From the Wikipedia article:

Quote:
The first two aircraft built were fitted with 447 kW (600 hp) Junkers Jumo 205C diesel engines.

Quote:
later models used the BMW Bramo 323R-2

Maybe you could re-engine her to Wright R-1820's (another historical engine that apparently at least a few Do-24's were built with), but it sounds like that, for the vast majority of Do-24's, you'd better also be an expert at maintaining now-obscure German aero engines if you wanted to maintain the aircraft's "purity"  Smile
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

BAE146QT

Thu May 22, 2008 6:05 pm

Quoting A342 (Reply 5):
IIRC, Dornier wanted to highlight the company's heritage.

Well it certainly has that effect, yes!
Todos mis dominós son totalmente pegajosos

ThirtyEcho

Fri May 23, 2008 8:35 am

It was re-engined because the replacement parts supply line for 1940s-era BMW Bramo 323R-2 engines is just too long, these days.