HeyWhaTheHay
Topic Author

LAX Runway Tunnel-1/3 Of 747 Wing+engine Hang Over

Mon May 26, 2008 2:20 am

For you LAX locals.....

Have you ever driven north bound on Sepulveda, and had the good fortune to enter the tunnel RIGHT as a 747 was traveling along taxi way alpha above you? ( believe it is A).

As you enter the tunnel and the aircraft is above you, almost 1/3 of the wing, and the entire outside engine hangs over the roadway below. Pretty cool. I looked up thru my sunroof just as I traveled below it.

Question.....although the aircraft was traveling very slow( and I am sure has to)...could the jet blast at higher speeds ever cause problems with the vehicles below?

To you guys that fly to LAX, is that the correct taxi way, and are there speed or special restrictions for that "over pass" ???

Thanks,

Hey

ps. I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong category. It seems to me it should be here, but feel free....

vikkyvik

RE: LAX Runway Tunnel-1/3 Of 747 Wing+engine Hang Over

Mon May 26, 2008 4:37 am

Quoting HeyWhaTheHay (Thread starter):
To you guys that fly to LAX, is that the correct taxi way, and are there speed or special restrictions for that "over pass" ???

'Tis indeed taxiway Alpha:

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0805/00237AD.PDF

Quoting HeyWhaTheHay (Thread starter):
Question.....although the aircraft was traveling very slow( and I am sure has to)...could the jet blast at higher speeds ever cause problems with the vehicles below?

I would say that's very doubtful. The engine is probably a good 40 feet above the Sepulveda Blvd. roadway. The high-velocity core flow from an engine will slow down rapidly as you move outward radially from the engine center.

Take a look at the following document from Boeing - it shows jet exhaust velocities measured at distances behind the aircraft:

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/acaps/7474sec6.pdf

If I had to guess, I'd say you'd feel a wind of no more than ~25 mph from a 747 passing overhead. Of course, those diagrams are predicated on the aircraft being on constant level ground - not with the wing hanging over the edge of a bridge  Smile
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

HeyWhaTheHay
Topic Author

Mon May 26, 2008 5:17 pm

VERY interesting reading. Thank you for passing that on, Vikkyvik.

So can I assume there are no special restrictions for that taxiway? Also, do you know what the width is of alpha?

Hey

SlamClick

Mon May 26, 2008 5:28 pm

I walked through the Sepulveda tunnel once. Once!

I guess that is not a sidewalk. It looked like a sidewalk but it was only a foot or so wide. I walked from the terminal to a car rental place at Sepulveda and West Imperial. Scared hell out of me. Buses went past so close their mirrors made my left ear flutter!

The west side of that lot must have been a good place to watch airplanes - if you were allowed to loiter. Seems like there was some higher ground and you could look over the fence back then.

Any old crew here ever stay at the Cockatoo on Imperial? Colorful place.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

vikkyvik

RE: LAX Runway Tunnel-1/3 Of 747 Wing+engine Hang

Mon May 26, 2008 5:57 pm

Quoting HeyWhaTheHay (Reply 2):
So can I assume there are no special restrictions for that taxiway? Also, do you know what the width is of alpha?

I don't know about restrictions. But it looks to be a 75 foot wide taxiway.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

HeyWhaTheHay
Topic Author

Tue May 27, 2008 12:36 am

wow....thats crazy. With a 211 foot wingspan, I'm guessing the center line is offset to the north over more concrete/asphalt. Other wise thats 60' feet of overhang? That can't be. Is my math wrong?

Hey

vikkyvik

Tue May 27, 2008 2:29 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 3):
I guess that is not a sidewalk. It looked like a sidewalk but it was only a foot or so wide. I walked from the terminal to a car rental place at Sepulveda and West Imperial. Scared hell out of me. Buses went past so close their mirrors made my left ear flutter!

Haha, yep, pretty sure that is not a sidewalk! Damn, I wouldn't have chanced that.

Quoting HeyWhaTheHay (Reply 5):
wow....thats crazy. With a 211 foot wingspan, I'm guessing the center line is offset to the north over more concrete/asphalt. Other wise thats 60' feet of overhang? That can't be. Is my math wrong?

On a normal 75 foot taxiway, a 744's wingtip would be 68 feet outside the edge of the taxiway (not counting shoulder).

Take a look on Google Maps or Google Earth. You can see pretty well the taxiway's relation to the edge of the bridge.

lax25r

Wed May 28, 2008 3:06 am

Quoting HeyWhaTheHay,reply=2 So can I assume there are no special restrictions for that taxiway?:

Good evening all. I've been reading on here for a long time now but only now posting for the first time.

According to the airport information on airnav.com, it looks that there are no aircraft restrictions on Taxiway Alpha (the Southern Most taxiway over the tunnel) or Charlie (the Northern most over the tunnel). Though as I'm sure you know from driving Sepulveda under the runways, traffic does slow down quite a bit when a 747 is taxiing overhead

aa61hvy

Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:30 pm

I love driving through that tunnel when I go to work then of course all of the DL and HA 767s that are parked right north of the tunnel.

Though stupid LA city workers have that right lane moving at a snails pace...
Go big or go home

newdan

Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:47 pm

i live in Los Angeles, i have never noticed this...next time i am on Sepulveda im going to check it out.
a signature is soo cool!

vikkyvik

Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:29 pm

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 8):
I love driving through that tunnel when I go to work then of course all of the DL and HA 767s that are parked right north of the tunnel.

checkmark 

Drove through it on Monday. There was a FedEx MD-10 (or DC-10...) on taxiway alpha. But I hit a red light coming off the 105 West offramp, so I only got to watch it taxi by from a few hundred feet away.

HeyWhaTheHay
Topic Author

Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:29 am

I walked through the Sepulveda tunnel once. Once!

Many many moons ago, when I was a kid, we use to ride our BIKES through the tunnel ! ( Mom of course didn't know) .IScary as heck, especially when you entered the "turn outs" It is most definetly a sidewalk sized, but was only put there for emergency use, like if you break down. It has several "turn outs", and the sidewalk follows it.

The tunnel also used to be much shorter, forget what years they extended it.

Last friday i almost had another chance encounter, believe it was a Virgin A340, it had just barely cleared the overpass, when I went through. The sight of the overhang is amazing.

I must be living right.

Hey

2H4

Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:52 am

I walked from the terminal to a car rental place at Sepulveda and West Imperial. Scared hell out of me. Buses went past so close their mirrors made my left ear flutter!

Sounds like Neil Page on Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank