airbalticfan

Why Divert From Flight Plan?

Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:47 am

Hey there,as I am a greenhorn in aviation,my question might sound dumb....
What is the main reason for the plane to fly far away off from flight plan?
I was watching the Frontier flight which was off by approx. 200 miles even with weather being perfect for flights!
Thank you!

AirframeAS

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:01 am

Were you watching it on flightaware? Care to provide a flightaware link to the flight you are talking about?

It may be due to ATC, not all flight plans are specifically followed when ATC is involved.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

tb727

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:50 am

Yeah, I'd have to see the specific flight. Generally though flight plans are changed daily depending on where the jet stream is to stay in/out of it depending on tail or headwind. Widespread areas of bad turbulence may also be planned around as well.

Over the winter you will see some crazy stuff on East Coast-West Coast flights avoiding the core of the jet stream, which could mean upwards of 150 knot headwinds, flights are planned to go way up over southern Canada.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

BoeingOnFinal

RE: Why Divert From Flight Plan?

Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:10 am

Flightplans are filed by airways, and are often changed by ATC giving direct routings which could take the aircraft off it's original route by several miles.
norwegianpilot.blogspot.com

OPNLguy

Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:19 am

First, "deviate" is what one does with respect to one's filed flight plan, i.e. "We deviated 50nm north of our filed route to get around the weather." "Divert" is what happens when one flies from AAA to BBB, and weather or operational issues preclude a landing at BBB so you divert to the alternate CCC, and re-try CCC-BBB later once things have improved.

As others have said, the exact flight number or city-pair would need to be know so we can see what you're talking about. Also keep in mind that weather isn't only consideration, since ATC commonly has re-routes issued to optimize the traffic through (or to) an impacted area.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

pilotpip

Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:40 am

Airways are not used as often as they used to be because of RNAV. They're still used quite heavily on the east coast but more often than not we're getting very direct routes with a few fixes in each center to keep controllers happy.

Also many flight plans we used are a standard flight plan that is always filed by dispatch. When it's busy it makes sense to use airways and a ton of waypoints to keep everything flowing smoothly but at 11pm it's not unusual to get cleared direct to a waypoint 500nm downrange which saves us a lot of time and fuel.
DMI

411A

Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:10 am

Why deviate?
Well....sometimes, with international flying, overflight clearances have not been properly received/approved.
Example.
Last January, enroute JED-OUA, Sudan had not recived our filed overflight request, so denied FIR entry.
What to do?
The First Officer asked the KRT controller to negotiate overfligt via Egypt/Libya, bypassing the Sudan FIR.
Clearance received from Egypt/Libya via landline, and as we had uplifed sufficient fuel from JED, changed course, and proceeded via the new clearance.
Problem solved.
Additional flight time, 42 minutes.
Passengers pleased, company pleased...First Officer received an increased bonus at the end of the contract.
All in a days work.

airbalticfan

Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:24 am

Ok ,so here is another example I am talking about,it is a flight COA35 from IAH-DEN by Continental on June 19.

Here is a link: http://travel.flightexplorer.com/TrackFlight.aspx

Flight is way off from flight plan.....your thoughts please....

Thanks to all of you who responded to my question!

tdscanuck

Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:38 am

Quoting Airbalticfan (Reply 7):

At this time of year in Texas, I'd go with weather diversion unless information is available to the contrary. Houston is showing chance of thunderstorms all week.

Tom.

OPNLguy

Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:41 am

Quoting Airbalticfan (Reply 7):
Ok ,so here is another example I am talking about,it is a flight COA35 from IAH-DEN by Continental on June 19.

Let's try flightaware.com instead...

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/C...5/history/20080620/0200Z/KIAH/KDEN

This flight is not "way off from flight plan". It might not be a straight line between IAH and DEN, but that's quite understandable given the thunderstorms, which, BTW, the CO dispatcher has intentionally planned them around. The filed route was JCT5 JCT J15 CME CIM ALS LARKS5 which takes them over Junction (JCT), Chisum (CME, a navaid near Roswell NM), and then Cimarron (CIM, a navaid in NM) and Alamosa (CO) a navaid in Colorado. Now only was this the filed route, it looks like that's exactly the route they flew.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

mark5388916

Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:54 am

That acturally looks lke a really nice route around the storm.

Mark
I Love ONT and SNA, the good So Cal Airports! URL Removed as required by mod

Goldenshield

Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:27 pm

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 9):
It might not be a straight line between IAH and DEN, but that's quite understandable given the thunderstorms, which, BTW, the CO dispatcher has intentionally planned them around.

It also could have been published in an ATC reroute advisory.

In fact, here it is:

Quote:

ATCSCC ADVZY 083 DCC 06/19/08 ROUTE RQD
NAME: SE_2_DEN
CONSTRAINED AREA: ZKC
REASON: WEATHER

INCLUDE TRAFFIC: ZFW/ZHU/ZME/ZTL DEPARTURES TO DEN
FACILITIES INCLUDED: ZFW/ZHU/ZME/ZTL
FLIGHT STATUS: ALL_FLIGHTS
VALID: ETD 191715 TO 200200
PROBABILITY OF EXTENSION: MODERATE

REMARKS: REPLACES ADVZY 062
ASSOCIATED RESTRICTIONS: PER NTML
MODIFICATIONS:
ROUTES:
ORIG DEST ROUTE
---- ---- -----
ZFW ZHU DEN TXO TBE HGO QUAIL5
ZME(-BNA) DEN FUZ TXO TBE HGO QUAIL5
ZTL(-CLT) DEN FUZ TXO TBE HGO QUAIL5

192140-200200

[Edited 2008-06-20 09:30:32]
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

airbalticfan

Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:19 am

Thank you guys,I appreciate your thoughts!