Oasis
Topic Author

Civil Aircraft Doors

Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:21 pm

This is a silly question, but I would like to find out an answer to it:

Do big passenger jets have locks on the doors? Locks that require a key to be opened from the outside.

Thanks,
Ben
Aeroflot can fly Moscow to LA, I bet your airline can only fly half way

EMBQA

RE: Civil Aircraft Doors

Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:34 pm

No they do not....................
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

copter808

Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:39 pm

I'm not aware of any that do. Generally they're kept in a pretty secure area, so there is little need for locks.

zanl188

Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:27 am

Quoting Oasis (Thread starter):
Do big passenger jets have locks on the doors? Locks that require a key to be opened from the outside.

I've never seen locks on a passenger jet... They do get seals on the door occasionally so the crew would know if the jets been tampered with....

Exterior handle on the C-130 crew door has holes for a padlock and I've seen it used that way on a number of occasions...
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

tdscanuck

Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:44 am

Not normally. I know of at least one 737-BBJ that has them, but it was a non-Boeing mod done by the owner and a special item.

Tom.

COSPN

Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:44 am

The AN-12 and IL 76 have a big lock and big key...

WNCrew

Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:06 pm

WN being my second airline I have never seen them. Not only are RON aircraft generally either remote parked (requiring a jetway to even access the door) but if they're left at the jetway then generally the jetway is pulled back too far to access the aircraft; and the jetway does have a key.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

PGNCS

Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:08 pm

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 3):

I've never seen locks on a passenger jet... They do get seals on the door occasionally so the crew would know if the jets been tampered with....

I have worked for three airlines and have never seen them; I am confident they are not OEM equipment on any common large airliner. Our aircraft DO get seals put on the doors and access panels when overnighting at an International station. They are "Tamper Evident" but by no means "Tamper Proof". Hope this helps!  Smile

CanadianNorth

Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:15 pm

Where I worked it was generally assumed that when the aircraft were left alone at night they were safe, because if you know how to get onto airside, open the door, and find a way to get up and in that you probably worked there.

Quoting WNCrew (Reply 6):
(requiring a jetway to even access the door)

no Airstairs then? I know with our 737s getting on without a jetway was easy, basically just go to the little panel below and slightly aft of the main entry door, pull and twist the handle, then hold it there until the stairs are done...

CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

L-188

Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:57 am

I've seen locks for the baggage compartments on the IL-62.

The three times I had to turn that airplane we had to wait for the navigator to come down and open the bin up for us.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

WNCrew

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

Quoting CanadianNorth (Reply 8):
no Airstairs then? I know with our 737s getting on without a jetway was easy, basically just go to the little panel below and slightly aft of the main entry door, pull and twist the handle, then hold it there until the stairs are done...

At one time yes, WN did have integral airstairs on the -200's and -300's but they are no longer in use (they were removed).
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

HAWK21M

Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:54 am

Quoting COSPN (Reply 5):

The AN-12 and IL 76 have a big lock and big key...

Any pics.

Todays modern day Airliners do not have a lock on the door.Out here gate security is adequate & for longer duration storage a security seal is in place,if broken,necessitates a thorough security check.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Dalmd88

Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:02 pm

Nope no locks. Feel like stealing an airliner? Get a job on an airport with that gives you ramp clearance. On the right airport you just might get away with it. As Massport has increased the screening on airport employees I've taken a closer look at what a terrorist with an airport ID could do. Personally I think that on many nights it is possible to steal an airliner. The ones that are remote parked are the most at risk.

HAWK21M

Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:01 am

Quoting DALMD88 (Reply 12):
Personally I think that on many nights it is possible to steal an airliner. The ones that are remote parked are the most at risk

Out here.All Aircraft on Servicable duty are security guarded at halts.
Long storage Aircraft have obstructions in their path.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

soon7x7

Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:13 pm

I photographed an MD-87 that once belonged to Austrian Airlines...although it was converted to a private ship, the door lock installation appeared to be a factory installation...j

avioniker

Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:46 pm

Quoting Soon7x7 (Reply 14):
I photographed an MD-87 that once belonged to Austrian Airlines...although it was converted to a private ship, the door lock installation appeared to be a factory installation...j

One of the reasons you'll hear from past DAC employees for their demise is that Douglas would option anything for any operator on any aircraft.
There are, indeed, a number of aircraft out there that had door locks retrofitted during the finishing/delivery phase of construction at Long Beach.
I've seen a few overseas delivered T-tails with car type lock mechanisms integral to the external door handles and maintenance access doors.
I recall one aircraft that went to Brazil that had these locks installed on every door on the plane, even the water service door.
 Smile
One may educate the ignorance from the unknowing but stupid is forever. Boswell; ca: 1533

soon7x7

Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:49 pm

Quoting Avioniker (Reply 15):

I had to shoot a lear45 for a client and the pilot went home and took the key with him so obviously i couldn't get in to shoot the interior. Well I have about thirty keys on my key ring, the one that opens my boat, opened the learjet...good thing I owned a boat!...was able to complete job and get paid...j

avt007

Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:22 pm

Quoting Soon7x7 (Reply 16):
the one that opens my boat, opened the learjet...

When I worked on a lot of private aircraft, my toolbox key would open 90% of all Cessnas.
As for bigger stuff, I recall one F28 that had a modified access door that covered the controls for the cabin door. It was setup for a padlock, but in reality it would have been very easy to open with handtools. Most security setups I've seen are not geared towards theft, but rather stopping smugglers from using an unsuspecting company to transport contraband.

Blackprojects

Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:59 pm

Museum Aircraft have Locks and Keys but that is about it.

The rest of the worlds civil aircraft do not require Locks and Keys Normaly as they are out of Reach Behind Fences and Security Systems that some Fedral Prisons would Envy.

oldtimer

Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:58 pm

Bae146/RJ aircraft carried on a DeHavilland tradition of having locks on all doors and access to avionics bay, cargo bays etc. Same on the Comet and 125 series aircraft (all the same key number as well) Nobody seemed to lock them though except maybe the military.
Oldtimer, I should have known better!

DocLightning

Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:13 am

I read somewhere that Boeing delivers each new A/C with a key, out of tradition. However, A/C, of course, do not have keyholes.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan