readytotaxi

Galley Space On Asian Based Airlines.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:47 pm

Looking at the wonderful photos in the trip report forum for airlines like Singapore and Cathy regarding their First Class meal service,and Business Class I was wondering, given all the meal options and courses and the plates bowls and so on that goes with them, do the airline request a larger than usual gallery area from the airline maker than western airlines?  Confused
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

pianos101

RE: Galley Space On Asian Based Airlines.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:10 pm

So there is a certain "envelope" that all galleys (fwd, aft, center, sidewall) must fit into. All galley suppliers (and airlines) are given the Boeing standard interface document that shows what this envelope is, along with seat track/tie rod connections, water, power, etc... Within that envelope, an airline/galley supplier can pretty much do what they want, although there are definitely typical configurations that are used. Some airlines might choose more storage space above the counter in lieu of another oven or coffee maker, and some might get more chilled lower compartments than other airlines. Pretty much as long as the galley supplier makes sure to design around the necessary struct and syst interfaces, it's all up in the air (no pun intended)...

Have you ever seen some of those aft 777 horseshoe galleys that hold like 20 full carts? These things are huge and freaking amazing!

readytotaxi

Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:21 pm

Quoting Pianos101 (Reply 1):

Thanks for the post.
Have not seen the galley you talk about, with airline has it?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

mark5388916

Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:38 pm

Quoting Pianos101 (Reply 1):
Have you ever seen some of those aft 777 horseshoe galleys that hold like 20 full carts? These things are huge and freaking amazing!

Aft galley on an LX A343 is also rather large and well done.

Mark
I Love ONT and SNA, the good So Cal Airports! URL Removed as required by mod

pianos101

Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:48 pm

Quoting Readytotaxi (Reply 2):
Have not seen the galley you talk about, with airline has it?

I think most airlines choose the super-large aft horseshoe galley on the 777's, especially the 300's. Let me see if i can find a pic around here...

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Emira...C_&prev_id=0294125&next_id=0130149

And that extends past the right edge of the picture too, all the way around....

That brings up an interesting point that I heard when i used to work in the galleys group... When the 777 first came out, there were f/a's complaining that they were getting very nauseous when they were standing in a particular spot in the aft galley. Well, after some chairs bolted to the floor of the cabin and some test flights, it seemed that there was some sort of resonance that affect that one spot of the aircraft (in the aft galley). Boeing installed some kind of dampening system in the tail, but it was weird the f/a's noticed this...

KELPkid

Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:13 pm

The galley space in SQ's 744s is freakin' huge...my wife and I were in a seat in between the galley and the side of the aircraft on SQ001 from SFO to SIN.
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

Starlionblue

Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:08 pm

I remember flying a TG 747 in F in 1984. The F galley extended several meters along the right side of the aircraft behind the F cabin. Much larger than your typical "western" galley. Of course, they made eggs to order for breakfast, had roasts in the oven...
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Viscount724

Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:58 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 6):
remember flying a TG 747 in F in 1984. The F galley extended several meters along the right side of the aircraft behind the F cabin. Much larger than your typical "western" galley. Of course, they made eggs to order for breakfast, had roasts in the oven...

That unusual longitudinal 747 galley was an option. KL also has it. That's why all but 2 windows (next to the main deck business class lavatories) in that area are plugged on the right side. Garuda also has that galley layout on their 744s.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Tim de Groot - AirTeamImages
View Large View Medium

Photo © Norman Yusof

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ian Schofield

You can see the galley layout better on KL's seat map (this is a combi but their 5 all-passenger 744s are the same). I believe KL also had that galley on their 742s and 743s (except their earliest P&W-powered 742s).
http://www.klm.com/travel/ch_en/trav...ard/seating_plans/747-400Combi.htm

It makes the B-zone on KL 744s seem much more private than the rest of the Y class cabin due to the 5-abreast layout. No windows of course on the right side next to the galley wall but many people prefer those 2-abreast seats and there's a sizable gap between the seats and the wall. That cabin was business class in a 2-2- layout until KL dropped first class service years ago.

kl5147

Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:39 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 7):
except their earliest P&W-powered 742s

Even those (PH-BUA/B/C/D/E/G) got such galley after their upper-deck modification in 1979/1980.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter de Groot
View Large View Medium

Photo © Johan Ljungdahl

[Edited 2008-06-29 10:44:36]

[Edited 2008-06-29 10:46:39]
"The world is just a click away!"