FlyMKG
Topic Author

US And Canada Airspace Differences

Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:07 pm

I've got a student that wants to fly from Port Huron, MI directly to Sandusky, OH. I have no experience with flying through Canadian airspace and was wondering if there were any major differences. We will be IFR so I'm talkin cruising altitudes, lost comm procedures, and things like that. Any info would be appreciated.

FlyMKG
Essential Power, Operating Generator.

longhauler

RE: US And Canada Airspace Differences

Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:48 am

Flying IFR, you are unlikely to notice anything different at all, as Canadian ATC is exactly the same as American ATC. You'll go from Cleveland Center to Toronto Center to Cleveland Centre just like you were flying in the States.

On the two examples you mention lost comms and cruising altitudes, there is little difference.

The only slight difference I have noticed between FARs and CARs involves takeoff/landing minima, takeoff alternates and destination alternates, and as you are not actually landing in Canada these will have no bearing on your flight.

For your reference:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Regserv/Affairs/cars/menu.htm
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

cactushp

Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:13 am

I actually think the ZOB covers that little part of Ontario. So you'll stick with ZOB the whole way, then off to CLE tracon.
Sorry, I was on the landline

PHLapproach

Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:27 pm

The following message is from one of my friends since he is not a member of airliners.net but would like to respond to your question....:

Quote:
This is very coincidental because I'm planning on doing this trip VFR in a few months with Cactushp. I don't know if this will help to explain the VFR side, but I'll do it anyhow  Smile . We'll file a DVFR flightplan, get airborne, call up Selfridge on 119.6, they'll give us a squawk code (and flight following) which will clear us into Canadian Airspace and when you get around the Detroit Area they'll switch us to Cleveland Center on 127.7. Once you're over Lake Erie you'll be back in US airspace and you can request cancellation of flight following and just land at Sandusky. For $20 the FBO will take you to and pick you up from Cedar Point.

You do not need to have a Radiotelephone Operators permit because the FAR states that one is required only when talking to a foreign station. Because Toronto center starts just around Sarnia and all the way over to just about south of London, you shouldn't have any problem talking to Cleveland Center. If you'd like to look at the demarcation line for the two centers take a look at the Enroute L-30 chart.

I hope you have fun, again, I haven't done this flight yet, but will be doing it soon. Maybe we'll be going on the same day as you and your student.

Also, if you have questions, look through the CAR, call AOPA or flight service.

Take Care,
Michael Graham

[Edited 2008-07-06 07:29:44]