seb146

US On Approach To PDX

Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:23 pm

We were working at a house about a mile from my home. There seemed to be more flights overhead there than where I live. As part of the approach to PDX, if any flight comes from the south or southeast, they fly north, then turn west to land, if they are taking 28R/28L. I have noticed, working there and watching at other times in other places, US seems to fly lower and faster than anyone else. Rarely I see WN doing it, but it always seems to be US. Any reason why?
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

AAH732UAL

RE: US On Approach To PDX

Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:57 pm

I think you maybe seeing this  Smile

There is a TON of stuff involved in this. So there is really not REAL answer.
DME/DME RNP0.3 NA -Escalators don't break---- they just become stairs!

SlamClick

Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:12 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Thread starter):
Rarely I see WN doing it

Southwest tends to fly extremely high approaches, and stabilize rather late. That is part of the the culture of their flight department and I see it everywhere they fly. So you can't really judge any single airline against what you see from Southwest.

I've been told that USAirways has standardized on less-than-full flaps for landing, so on an Airbus, for example that would be flaps 3. This will result in a higher 'ref' speed than we are used to seeing.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

seb146

Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:20 pm

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 2):
I've been told that USAirways has standardized on less-than-full flaps for landing, so on an Airbus, for example that would be flaps 3

I was seeing 737s doing this. I see their Airbus a couple of times a week, but not zipping quickly over.

Quoting AAH732UAL (Reply 1):
There is a TON of stuff involved in this. So there is really not REAL answer.

PDX is not as busy as, say SFO or LAX, but I realize some captains may ask for an earlier slot. The days I have seen this are generally the same weather conditions: clear skies and light winds. Like I said, US seems to do it in their 737s mostly while WN does it once a day or so. I am just curious.
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

AAH732UAL

Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:29 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 3):
but not zipping quickly over

Well like SlamClick said above... Pilots are just getting on a Stablized approach a lot further out!
DME/DME RNP0.3 NA -Escalators don't break---- they just become stairs!

dinker225

Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:22 pm

The approaches you are refering to is what is named the mill visual. For noise abatement procedures airplanes fly up and over the mill on the WA side of the river then follow the river back down to the airport. It is only used in VFR conditions. Most airplanes tend to like flying it much faster than other approaches.

Dinner
Two rules in aviation, don't hit anything and don't run out of gas, cause if you run out of gas yer gonna hit something.