Mastropiero
Topic Author

Il-62 Landing On Grass At Stölln

Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:50 am

http://www.takeofftube.com/view/871/il-62-landing-on-grass-/

So, I have watched this video many times and it still amazes me every single time. One of the things that are bugging me is when the aircraft lifts her nose really sharply before puting her nose landing gear on the ground. Was that something intentional, maybe the pilot trying to use the whole body of the plane as a giant spoiler or was it something unexpected?

I would love to hear from the pilots around here what would have been - more or less - the sequence of events in that landing. I don´t know, maybe for someone who flies those things for a living is a pretty normal landing (in those conditions), but for me is something quite amazing...

I guess what I am trying to ask is: how did they do it? How did they manage to put that plane down on a pretty uneven surface and get it stopped in such a short distance?

Thank you very much!

2H4

RE: Il-62 Landing On Grass At Stölln

Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:59 pm

Quoting Mastropiero (Thread starter):
One of the things that are bugging me is when the aircraft lifts her nose really sharply before puting her nose landing gear on the ground. Was that something intentional, maybe the pilot trying to use the whole body of the plane as a giant spoiler

That would be my guess....aerodynamic braking.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

jetstar

Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:08 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 1):
That would be my guess....aerodynamic braking.

That would be my guess to, just for fun on the JetStar, when we were empty on a ferry flight landing on a long runway, every once in a while on landing, I would keep the nose up as long as possible, I would extend the reversers to kill the forward thrust, but not pull up on the reverse levers for reverse thrust.

The aerodynamic braking was almost as good as using reverse thrust and as we slowed down I would lower the nose before the elevators lost their effectiveness to prevent the nose gear from hitting hard, but we used much more runway. On normal landings we extended the reversers as soon as possible, but started to reduce reverse thrust at 80 knots and stowed them at 60 knots and used wheel braking for the remaining rollout, I was able to keep the nose wheels off the ground to about 80 knots before I applied the wheel brakes.

Boeing727

Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:26 am

unattendedbag

Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:33 am

Quoting Mastropiero (Thread starter):
Was that something intentional, maybe the pilot trying to use the whole body of the plane as a giant spoiler or was it something unexpected?

That is what it looks like. It also looks like the reversers deploy as the aircraft touches down the second time. The aircraft is empty and the ground it most likely very hard. Very nice job clearing the trees to land on that small patch of grass.

Quoting Boeing727 (Reply 3):
This technique is always used by F16s and F15s..

always? I don't think so.
Slower traffic, keep right