od-bwh

Who Assigns Parking Lots?

Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:50 pm

My plane arrived to DXB at around 21.30 local time, and left the apron at 22.30. They parked it at a remote gate, although more than half of the contacts gates were empty. It was a 1 hr stop only, and I'm sure nothing changed, i.e., the empty half remained empty!

On what basis do airports assign parking positions? Wouldn't it be cheaper for the airport to utilize the bridge rather than a couple of busses to move 150 pax? Larger aircraft, A340 and A300's where parked next to us as well.

I know this airline uses contact gates at DXB because I saw that before.

Regards
OD-BWH
A300, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A343, A346, A388, B734, B738, B744, B772, B773, B788, F70, MD11, CRJ700

shamrock321

RE: Who Assigns Parking Lots?

Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:54 pm

Stands are allocated by the airport authority, they will have people whos job it is to do this.

Stands vary depending on airline requests, not sure which airline you flew with, they will vary becase of costs etc.

ajd1992

Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:37 pm

They're allocated by the ground controller (or at least they are in Copenhagen, I've seen it because I have a "contact" In the ramp tower at CPH  Wink)

He's allocated us at a gate closer to baggage that isn't in the usual SAS block just for us, that's how nice he is  Silly but other than that, I don't know how they're given out.

Pihero

Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:05 pm

Quoting OD-BWH (Thread starter):
They parked it at a remote gate, although more than half of the contacts gates were empty.

You're opening a can of worms here !
Normally, gate allocation is one of the duties of the airport authorities... and depends on what the airline asked for -for a fee-. A contact gate is worth a lot of money, a remote stand a lot less, even with the bus services...etc...
At an airline hub, the airline terminal services do the allocation, the main object to facilitate transits and optimise turn-arounds. It's a fascinating job which needs the talent of a world-class juggler, especially when there are some unforeseen delays, weather events or industrial actions. That service can make or brake the airline day-to-day ops, believe me. The gate allocation details are sent through a computer link to the ATC ground controller, and to the aircraft via ACARS. Generally, that information complicates the ATC workload as aircrews will be requesting the most favourable runway, exit, taxiways...etc... the best ATCOs would have anticipated these demands.
But not always.
Contrail designer

HAWK21M

Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:29 pm

Airports Authority decides that out here.They try to club the airlines together where possible to enable Mx work better at night halts & during the day as near as to the arrival as possible to reduce Pax discomfort.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:23 am

Haven't seen any American responses.

I worked the ramp in ATL for a couple years with one of the larger regionals there (guess) and on our company radio on company frequency, we would call our tower guys and it seemed to me like they decided where our birds parked.

Anyone care to clarify?
What gets measured gets done.

Tristarsteve

Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:05 am

There is a big difference between the USA and Euope. In Europe nearly all the aprons and gates are owned by the airport, and gates are allocated by the airport. There are exceptions, i.e. at LHR T5 BA staff allocate gates.
In the USA most gates and a lot of the ramps are owned by the airlines. So it is usual in the US for airline staff to allocate gates. In fact often the ATC ground control will pass the aircraft to the Airline Ramp Tower for final taxying and parking.

Goldenshield

Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:01 pm

At SNA, since the entire terminal is common use, the gate assignments have been delegated to AA ops. They're pretty good in that they will keep the airlines on the same half of the terminal, rather than make people walk the length of the terminal.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

wn676

Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:26 am

Quoting TristarSteve (Reply 6):

In the USA most gates and a lot of the ramps are owned by the airlines. So it is usual in the US for airline staff to allocate gates. In fact often the ATC ground control will pass the aircraft to the Airline Ramp Tower for final taxying and parking.

This is how it works with US in PHX. Their ops tower controls the ramp for all of T4 North.

For US ops specifically, there is a gate manager who coordinates with fleet scheduling, maintenance, and the ramp controllers (who in turn coordinate with ground control) to figure out which planes go where.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.