An225
Topic Author

Selecting The Optimal Aircraft For A Single Fleet

Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:40 pm

Hello all,
I was wondering how do an airline decide which is the optimal aircraft for its fleet based on operating costs?
For example, an airline operates a network of 24 routes with different frequancies for each route, and each route has different operating costs. These costs imply that for example, on 10 routes the lowest cost is a certain Boing type, and in the rest it is a certain Airbus type. Now, the airline can choose from a veriety of aircraft types (A321, B737-600, B737-900, etc.) to form its fleet, but it has to be a single-type fleet - an Airbus or a Boeing.
The question is, how can it decide which aircraft to choose, given the above constraints?

Thanks,

An225

AAH732UAL

RE: Selecting The Optimal Aircraft For A Single Fleet

Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:50 pm

I would say the 737NGs. That way you go get more variants. Some might say the A320 family BUT keep this in mind. You can have the 737-6,7,8, and 900s AND also take on a few 737-3/4/500s with the glass EFIS(soon to have a flood on the market) and have them on the same type rating with about 2 days of ground school. So really your choice of the guppy equals 7+ types compared to the A318/319/320. and 321.

At least that would be how I selected an airplane. Plus say you do expand..... IIRC the 787 can share a 737EFIS type rating ticket as long as you have NG time. Or maybe it was only about 2 weeks to get a type rating on the plane compared to the normal 6 to 8 weeks.

I think that is how some smaller airlines think.
DME/DME RNP0.3 NA -Escalators don't break---- they just become stairs!

PhilSquares

Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:04 pm

Quoting AAH732UAL (Reply 1):
IIRC the 787 can share a 737EFIS type rating ticket as long as you have NG time. Or maybe it was only about 2 weeks to get a type rating on the plane compared to the normal 6 to 8 weeks.

Wrong! It will be a CCQ with the 777 anything else will be the full ground school and sim.

Quoting An225 (Thread starter):
The question is, how can it decide which aircraft to choose, given the above constraints?

Easy, it all boils down to $$. If you are after new builds, what is the best deal you can get from each builder (Airbus/Boeing) or are you better off going to the used market. There the trade off is lower acquisition costs vs. higher direct costs.
Fly fast, live slow

AAH732UAL

Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:01 am

Quoting PhilSquares (Reply 2):
Wrong! It will be a CCQ with the 777 anything else will be the full ground school and sim.

Duh..... what was I thinking? I actually just read about airlines going to share the same ticket after about 3 days of ground school to learn the new RNP/LAAS/WAAS stuff. As well as some other displays.

Brain fart  Smile
DME/DME RNP0.3 NA -Escalators don't break---- they just become stairs!