b767

Question To The Maddog Pilots.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:48 pm

Two years ago I talked to a captain in SAS who had flown the MD80 for about ten years.As we talked ,he told me he was into flight simulation for PC.He told me I had to download the Lago MD80 add on for FS2004.He praised it,s flight dynamics and said it was the most realistic add on he had ever flown on pc.I downloaded it as soon as I could.But one thing I think is strange is it,s slow roll rate.Is the roll rate of the MD80 slow in real life?It made going from base to short finals so challenging.The reason for asking was that I tried an old dc9 sim many years ago,and I seem to remember the niner as one very responsive aircraft with a sharp roll rate,and also very responsive elevators.I have also heard a dc9 pilot calling it the closest to a fighter jet of any commercial jet.
I was under the impression that the dc9 and MD80 could be flown under the same type-rating.In that case I think it is strange if MD gave the MD80 such small ailerons.Comment from MD80 drivers are welcome.

Max Q

RE: Question To The Maddog Pilots.

Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:44 am

Yes, the MD80 roll rate is quite slow, you have to remember this is a much heavier aircraft than a DC9 yet the ailerons are operated by control tab only (as are most flight controls on the -80) rather like driving a heavy car with no power steering.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

FBU 4EVER!

Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:12 pm

I have flown both the DC-9 and the MD-80, and the difference in roll rates aren't that big really. The MD-80 wing is approximately 30% larger than the DC-9 wing, ailerons are basically identical and the spoiler panels that operate with control yoke movements are also basically identical. This means that roll response is somewhat slower on the MD-80 as the roll devices are relatively smaller in relation to the enlarged wing.
"Luck and superstition wins all the time"!

b767

Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:23 pm

Thanks for the replys.I guess You really have to work hard in crosswind landings with this bird.

PGNCS

Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:56 am

I agree with FBU that the roll rates between the DC-9 and MD-80 are comparable. They can roll quickly when needed (especially with the speed brakes in use), but my qualitative perception is that more control yoke deflection is needed for a given roll rate compared to some other airliners. (If anyone has technical details, I would be interested.) I don't have any problems with the DC-9 or MD-80 in a crosswind, and find it to be pleasingly stable.

b767

Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:32 pm

I have heard people say the maddog is very stable in wind .specially in the roll axis.Is that because the MD80 don,t have the same amount of positive dihedral of the wings like aircraft with engines mounted on the wings?The wingtips of the maddog sits rather low,but there are suprisingly few tip scrape incident on the type.A former md80 captain told me that most of the incidents with MD80 occour when pilots banks to much into wind in crosswind situations.Not because a gust blows it over like the Lufthansa A320 incident.Comment are welcome.

FBU 4EVER!

Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:05 pm

True, the MD and DC-9's are very stable in the roll plane. It is not because of the very small dihedral, it is just inherent in the basic design. Normally, the larger the dihedral, the more stable a plane will be.
"Luck and superstition wins all the time"!