HAWK21M
Topic Author

Tires-Electrostatically Grounded Or Not

Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:47 am

Can one tell by looking at a tire if the airplane is normally electrostatically grounded through
conductive tires or not?
regds
MEL...
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

tdscanuck

RE: Tires-Electrostatically Grounded Or Not

Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:40 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Thread starter):
Can one tell by looking at a tire if the airplane is normally electrostatically grounded through conductive tires or not?

Even if you had conductive tires, I'm not sure you could ever assume the airplane is grounded because you don't know the conductivity or grounding of the surface the airplane is sitting on.

Tom.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:47 am

Quoting Tdscanuck (Reply 1):
Even if you had conductive tires, I'm not sure you could ever assume the airplane is grounded because you don't know the conductivity or grounding of the surface the airplane is sitting on.

Thats true.But what I'm indicating is if there is any print etc on the Tire exterior stating that that particular tire is a conductive one.
regds
MEL

cal764

Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:38 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 2):
But what I'm indicating is if there is any print etc on the Tire exterior stating that that particular tire is a conductive one

IIRC Blackbird tires contain Aluminum in the rubber...would that constitute conductivity?
1. Fly to Win 2. Fund Future 3. Reliability 4. Work Together CO: Work Hard, Fly Right...

nomadd22

Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:31 am

Some auto tires created problems by being such great insulators that large static charges were building up on the vehicle, but most tires aren't that bad. I'd imagine that part of the specs for aircraft tires would be to have a tiny bit of conductivity so they'll discharge the plane to ground within a few seconds.
Concrete and asphalt don't conduct very well, but they do conduct, and you don't have to pass much current to discharge static buildup. You're not trying to protect aginst a lightning strike.
Just don't do like the occasional moron who puts the fuel truck ground lead on something that's obviously non conductive.
Anon

Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:22 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Thread starter):
Can one tell by looking at a tire if the airplane is normally electrostatically grounded through
conductive tires or not?

I don't how you could tell by looking. However, tires are naturally conductive.

See page 16 of the following:

http://www.goodyearaviation.com/img/pdf/aircraftmanual.pdf

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:26 am

Quoting 474218 (Reply 5):
I don't how you could tell by looking.

Looking as in the sense of print present on tire exterior indicating same.
regds
MEL

avioniker

Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:29 pm

If you want to look and tell if it's conductive or not you need only note the color.
If it's black that indicates the use of carbon black in the reinforcement structure of the basic formula. Carbon black is highly conductive.
Latex rubber is neutral white before the additives are blended in.

Smile
One may educate the ignorance from the unknowing but stupid is forever. Boswell; ca: 1533

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:20 am

Quoting Avioniker (Reply 7):

If you want to look and tell if it's conductive or not you need only note the color.
If it's black that indicates the use of carbon black in the reinforcement structure of the basic formula. Carbon black is highly conductive.
Latex rubber is neutral white before the additives are blended in.

On line I don't think the colour would differ.hence Tire print aka S/N,loading/Ply rating/Retread status etc on the circumfrence.
regds
MEL