jetterrosie

VS900 Go-around NRT 12SEP - What Happened?

Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:06 am

I was waiting in the Virgin Clubhouse at NRT to catch VS901 back to LHR when I suddenly noticed the inbound aircraft do a go-around and then saw the runway was geared up for an emergency landing. When I boarded I asked the cabin crew out of curiousity and was firstly told a story about ice dropping out of the landing gear into fishing boats and this having something to do with flying over Siberia. This intrigued me as I am usually on a long haul flight 2 or 3 times a month and this was certainly the most novel explanation I'd heard for a flight delay! However later when speaking to another FA he said that it was in fact 2 go-arounds and said something about landing gear issues.

Even if you don't know about this particular flight can anyone shed light on the falling ice theory?!

AAH732UAL

RE: VS900 Go-around NRT 12SEP - What Happened?

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:35 pm

Quoting Jetterrosie (Thread starter):
Even if you don't know about this particular flight can anyone shed light on the falling ice theory?!

Yes this a big problem according to Japan.......... but only for RJAA/NRT  scratchchin 

http://ivao.klaeuserich.net/charts/RJAA.pdf

-Take a look at slide 26, ILS34L 21-3 in the approach remarks #2. You will see that the Japanese Authority requires planes to have gear down and locked by COSMO just for that reason. Same applies to ILS34R and both VOR/DME approaches to 34L/R.

[Edited 2008-10-08 07:39:17]
DME/DME RNP0.3 NA -Escalators don't break---- they just become stairs!