SXDFC
Topic Author

A/C Wings During Repaint Question

Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:28 am

After seeing a few pictures of planes right after they came out of a repaint - I was always amazed about how shiny and clean they are! So this is my question, when an a/c gets a repaint- do they repaint the wings in the Grey color- or are they waxed/ washed to get that shiny appeal?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Danny Fritsche

As you can see even though this was a wile back - this was right after this plane came out of a repaint- hence the shiny effect I am talking about.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

RE: A/C Wings During Repaint Question

Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:55 am

Quoting SXDFC (Thread starter):
do they repaint the wings in the Grey color- or are they waxed/ washed to get that shiny appeal?

Fairly basic. The painted parts are repainted and the unpainted parts are polished .

SXDFC
Topic Author

Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:20 am

What are the parts of the wings that get polished and painted?
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

HAWK21M

Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:22 am

Quoting SXDFC (Reply 2):

Polish the Slats,sliding/moving surfaces.paint the rest.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

EMBQA

Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:47 pm

Quoting SXDFC (Reply 2):

Every aircraft is different.......
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

boeing767mech

Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:37 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 3):
regds
MEL

All the airplanes I have painted, between c-152 and up to DC-10's I have NEVER polished sliding or moving surfaces.

David
Never under-estimate the predictably of stupidty

EMBQA

Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:11 pm

Quoting Boeing767mech (Reply 5):

On the E170-190 the flaps are painted, the slats are bare metal... I think the same holds true for the CRJ family
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

boeing767mech

Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:15 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 3):
regds
MEL

All the airplanes I have painted, between c-152 and up to DC-10's I have NEVER polished sliding or moving surfaces.

David

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 6):

On the E170-190 the flaps are painted, the slats are bare metal... I think the same holds true for the CRJ family

Let me repraise this again. I have never polish sliding areas on and airplane. Yes I have painted and balanced flight controls, that's a given with a complete paint job. As for sliding surfaces like flap tracks and rub strips the airplane does a good job polishing them itself, that's why they call them rub strips. They ummmmm rub.

David
Never under-estimate the predictably of stupidty

soon7x7

Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:06 pm

The super high gloss finish on transport repaints is the result of the ultra high gloss urethane's. Imron, a Dupont product is the best example I can think of, but really not the paint they use... A two part polyurethane mixed together with a catalyst and other additives, sits for about half our to let the chemicals interact with each other before applying. Boeing and other larger completion centers use electrostatic guns enabling the paint to flow smoother and finer with better adhesion qualities. The high gloss is a protective layer that forms on the top surface upon curing. Unlike cars...this is not a clear gloss coat. This paint is notorious for it's "Wet Look". The downside of polyurethanes is that they tend to oxidize much like a gel coat on a boat. Polishing will bring it right back up but eventually another repaint will be in order. This oxidation is evident on Southwest Canyon Blue. The reds in the blue paint fade first. With the high use of composites it is necessary to ensure good coverage to prevent water invasion. So all wing panels and control surfaces get the paint. The torque box sometimes receives corrugard,an aluminized coating to help reduce fuel temp in the wing. MD-80's, DC-9's used to polish wing skins as the aluminum they used held a shine due to it's alloy.
The only planes I've actually seen get polished are corporate jets...they sometimes use a Teflon spray, helps promote easy bug splat removal. Sometimes heavy iron will bright work their leading edges and nacelles, but rare. Airbus sometimes paints leading edges and installs Teflon tape on the leading edges. The A380 has painted leading edges on some of the surfaces which surprises me due to the size of the radius of the leading edges.

egnr

Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:03 pm

Airbus introduced a new paint process as a customer option at the end of 2007. The process sees just two layers of paint (a colour coat and a clear coat) applied on top of a chromate free primer. The first aircraft painted like this was the 5000th Airbus - an A330 that went to Qantas.

More info in the link below:

EADS press release about new Airbus paint process
7late7, A3latey, Sukhoi Superlate... what's going on?

soon7x7

Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:39 pm

Quoting EGNR (Reply 9):

Are the leading edges metallic in construction or composite?...just two coats...what is the paint base?...j