soon7x7

Boeing Greys?why One, Not The Other?

Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:09 pm

I've noticed that Boeing uses three tones of gray with their delivered new aircraft. One gray being very pale neutral, the other slightly darker and bluer or cooler, the third being darkest and warm gray with red in it. Are these colors selected by the client or does Boeing use whats available at the time. Are the darker colors for colder climates and the lighter for airlines based in warmer climates. I don't loose sleep over this however I have always wondered what determined the colors for the given airlines other than the livery designers.

Francoflier

RE: Boeing Greys?why One, Not The Other?

Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:24 pm

Quoting Soon7x7 (Thread starter):
I've noticed that Boeing uses three tones of gray with their delivered new aircraft.

What part of the aircraft are you talking about?
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

soon7x7

Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:43 pm

Excluding airlines colors, any surfaces on the airframe that are not bare metal get BAC 707 gray...but they have three or four versions of gray they use on wings, pylons, fairings, cowlings,etc.

light neutral gray...as seen on southwest jets
medium cooler gray...as seen on klm 747's
light to medium warm gray(yellower)...as seen on older American 767's
darker warm gray(reddish)...as seen on Singapore 747's

My question is...are the selections used just random or do the respective airlines actually stipulate specific grays used in their fleet colors. Secondly is this decision based on geographic location of the airlines operations...(light colors reflect suns heat, dark colors help in the melting of wing ice while static in colder regions)...or am I just thinking toooooo much?!

Any one with some experienced insight into this?

Viscount724

Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:57 pm

Just curious why you are so interested in gray. What about blue, red, green, white etc? I recall reading a few years ago that Boeing's paintshop had 46 different shades of white available for use in airline liveries. They were trying to simplify and reduce the number of color choices so I expect that 46 number is now much lower.

You can also order a BMW in about 6 different shades of gray/silver. I expect the reasons are similar. Airlines also have their own preferences.

TZTriStar500

Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:58 am

Quoting Soon7x7 (Reply 2):
Excluding airlines colors, any surfaces on the airframe that are not bare metal get BAC 707 gray...but they have three or four versions of gray they use on wings, pylons, fairings, cowlings,etc.

light neutral gray...as seen on southwest jets
medium cooler gray...as seen on klm 747's
light to medium warm gray(yellower)...as seen on older American 767's
darker warm gray(reddish)...as seen on Singapore 747's

My question is...are the selections used just random or do the respective airlines actually stipulate specific grays used in their fleet colors. Secondly is this decision based on geographic location of the airlines operations...(light colors reflect suns heat, dark colors help in the melting of wing ice while static in colder regions)...or am I just thinking toooooo much?!

Any one with some experienced insight into this?

How are you sure that these are actually different? From photos or actual paint chips? I ask because lighting and photo exposure greatly affect how the color appears.

Also, I am not sure what you are getting at here because according to the BAC 707 gray specification, it is only one color code. There are no alternate color codes or shades for BAC 707 gray.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 3):
I recall reading a few years ago that Boeing's paintshop had 46 different shades of white available for use in airline liveries. They were trying to simplify and reduce the number of color choices so I expect that 46 number is now much lower.

Yes, the Boeing color code manual is hundreds of pages with all of their original shades. Boeing used to accommodate nearly any changes the customer wanted, hence a new color code if the airline wanted it which is why the manual got so large and cumbersome. I am sure that now they are all not still available as new choices.
35 years of American Trans Air/ATA Airlines, 1973-2008. A great little airline that will not be soon forgotten.

AA737-823

Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:35 am

There are several different grays, but most are dictated by the airline. The difference I can think of would be 747 leading edge Krueger flaps where the inboards are darker than the mid and outboard sections.

But other than that, Singapore gray is different from American gray because.... one's not the other.

What really gets me are the Continental 757s that have three different shades of gray on each engine nacelle. What gives?!?!?

soon7x7

Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:50 pm

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 5):

Here I am at the BAC 707 gray topic once more...seems many paint manufacturers exist while each interpolate their own versions of BAC 707 gray, I never seem to find two that are identical. My interest in the color gray is that Airbus uses their own gray as well while LH incorporates whites on surfaces otherwise typified in gray. I would hazard a guess that gray is designed to closely replicate aluminum where composites are used. However for example, Singapore 747's and many other use a reddish/yellow darker gray that in no way closes in on the tones of metal. So I suppose the colors are specified by the original designers of the carriers livery designers.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 3):
Just curious why you are so interested in gray.

Because despite the airlines livery...98% of the airframes use gray on wings, fairings etc. With all the variations of gray..why not just have one standard gray?

dynamicsguy

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:51 am

Quoting Soon7x7 (Reply 2):
...but they have three or four versions of gray they use on wings, pylons, fairings, cowlings,etc.

And now on the 787 the've gone to white for everything on the wing, which looks very bright and pretty when brand new.