HAWK21M
Topic Author

Ground Fire Extinguisher For Engine Startup

Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:55 am

What is the requirement at your airports for a Ground fire Extinguisher [22.5kgs] to be present during engine startups & manned by personnell?
regds
MEL...
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

NKP S2

RE: Ground Fire Extinguisher For Engine Startup

Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:53 pm

We have one handy if we're starting a new engine, or any work requiring a "wet motor" leak check. If any excess fuel is present in the tailpipe following a "wet" motor, despite 2 subsequent "dry" motors, we'd like to have one ready to shoot of the usual 1st engine start characteristic 8 ( or so ) foot flame gets out of hand.

YWG

Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:30 pm

I'm not sure if it's a legality here in Canada, but I always see CO2 extinguishers around the ramp.

I recall earlier that a ramp guy sprayed a dry chemical extinguisher into an engine which he thought was on fire, when really it was just a wet start. It was a 6 figure bill to say the least.
Contact Winnipeg center now on 134.4, good day.

lowrider

Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:35 pm

The only time I see them in regular use in the US is on a military base. Don't recall ever seeing them in Canada or Europe.
Proud OOTSK member

FlyDeltaJets

Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:54 am

One is required to be at (without the excat details of the rule regarding feet apart) every gate and aircraft staging area regardless of the MTC to be performed on the aircraft. Also tho be noted as well you are not required to use it you are only required to call the authorities and assist with clearing the area.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:05 am

What about during pushback starts.Would it [Grd fire extinguisher] need to be towed along?
regds
MEL.

Tristarsteve

Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:31 am

We do not require any extinguisher at the gate for routine departures. It has been proved that the airport fire service response is fast enough for any fire. It is much safer to have the fire service arrive, than to let some unskilled ramper use a fire extinguisher.
But all our push back tugs have small bottles on them, but that is for equipment fires, not aircraft engine fires.

AA737-823

Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:28 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 5):
What about during pushback starts.Would it [Grd fire extinguisher] need to be towed along?

Not here in the States. We've got LARGE (150-300 lb) extinguishers at gates (not EVERY gate, but within a set distance), but they don't go along with pushback.

During an engine start, the companies I've been involved with just have the procedure to blow the engine fire bottles, I believe. They're halon- no damage done.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:02 pm

Quoting TristarSteve (Reply 6):
It has been proved that the airport fire service response is fast enough for any fire. It is much safer to have the fire service arrive, than to let some unskilled ramper use a fire extinguisher.

Out here Mx does the supervision of Engine start procedures on ground including headset communication with the Flight deck.In case of a tailpipe fire needing ground intervention,a fire extinguisher would be needed.fire services would take longer to arrive.

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 7):
During an engine start, the companies I've been involved with just have the procedure to blow the engine fire bottles, I believe. They're halon- no damage done.

Interesting differences to proceedures worldwide.
regds
MEL