Bartonsayswhat
Topic Author

Hearing Protection

Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:44 am

Hey ramp, engineering and pilots (and any other loud environment people.)
What is everyone using for hearing protection? My dB Blockers just came in the mail today so now I will be wearing them on the ramp. The Mickey Mouse ones wont fit under my tuque or my hood, and I kept on finding my self out there with only one foam plug or two soggy ones. Is anyone else using custom fitted plugs? Does anyone have the kind with the vent so you can hear conversation?

So what kind of protection and what are you doing out there?

Thanks,
Barton

tdscanuck

RE: Hearing Protection

Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:27 am

Quoting Bartonsayswhat (Thread starter):
What is everyone using for hearing protection?

I don't need it that often, so long-duration comfort isn't a priority for me. The best balance I've found between quality of noise-blocking and ease of use are the "fluted" silicone ones that look kind of like little trees. They're washable (reusable), easy to put in and out frequently, and are pretty effective. They also don't absorb water (no soggies). You can usually find them in any firearms store (Smith & Wesson makes a nice set).

Tom.

YWG747

Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:53 pm

Here at work they supply ear plugs.
I don't care for them at all, so I got a pair of earmuff type.
I only thing is if you are working outsite it won't fit under a toque, but for me that is a big deal.

HAWK21M

Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:20 pm

At BOM, its mandatory to be using hearing plugs when on the Airside.However I prefer the Ear defender during Mx work.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

N353SK

Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:50 pm

The big ear cups are my preferred method in winter, but in the summer they get too hot and sweaty, so I switch to the little foam guys. Of course, whenever I use the huffer I use both!

Bartonsayswhat
Topic Author

Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:16 am

Quoting N353SK (Reply 4):
whenever I use the huffer I use both!

yep i wear both for airstarts.

does eveyones union or company provide hearing tests? for us its annualy

MissedApproach

Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:46 am

We were supplied with a set of David Clarks with the electronic noise cancelling. Kind of pricey to buy yourself, but definitely the best level of protection out there. Prior to that we used ear defenders with ear plugs underneath (usually disposable foam type). I find in winter my ears get cold first anyway, so having them covered with the headset was usually good enough. In really cold weather, we wore parkas with hoods.
Can you hear me now?

N353SK

Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:19 am

Quoting Bartonsayswhat (Reply 5):

I'm pretty sure all rampers in the US undergo hearing tests during a yearly physical examination. I'm not sure if it's mandated by the DOT or if it's just good corporate policy.

nomadd22

Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:36 pm

My hearing isn't that great to start, so I got some Walker game ears. They're amplified and let me hear better than I normally do, but cut off loud noises instantly. They're great in the shop. You can hear butterflies sneezing but when you wack a piece of steel with a hammer all you hear is a tick.
There are amplified custom fit ear plug type devices too, but I haven't sprung for those yet.
Anon

HAWK21M

Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:02 pm

Quoting Bartonsayswhat (Reply 5):

In Mx,as Licenced AMEs,We need to undergo annual Medical checks every 12 months which includes hearing checks  Smile

regds
MEL

CrimsonNL

Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:01 pm

I occasionally visit the ramp, but I always have earplugs with me. I got hearing damage from an F-18 airshow and my ears hurt like hell with loud noises.

Just $2 earplugs which filter about 19DB, rubber ones, with a cord. They work great!
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

HAWK21M

Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:42 pm

Just to add...Although most may be aware already....that its important to use approved Ear defenders/Plugs,as it important to only cut off a certain frequency of noise & permit the rest,as complete blockage could be dangerous.its important to hear some sounds.

regds
MEL.

Bartonsayswhat
Topic Author

Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:16 pm

so turns out my custom plugs dont fit right, they break seal really easy if i move my mouth at all, and i think i know why.

When you get them fitted do it alone. i was filling out the paperwork with them in, and i looked up and so a co-worker getting his and i snorted and laughed because he looked like a retarded monkey, his ears bulging with flourescent yellow goop and stings comming out of it, when i moved my jaw i think i ruined my mould.

fortunately they come with a fitright gaurentee, so they should be better