cainanuk

Engineer Injured At MAN

Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:10 pm

An engineer was injured very seriously today at MAN. He was changing a nose wheel on a LH CRJ200 when it blew. Apparently he has unfortunately lost an arm and a foot. Let's all keep this fellow in our prayers this evening as at last word, he is still in hospital in a really bad way.
Cainan Cornelius

FredT

RE: Engineer Injured At MAN

Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:21 pm

Man... those tyres do scare me.  Sad

My thoughts will be with him.
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

HAWK21M

Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:10 pm

Was a Pressure regulator being used for tire charging or did the tiebolts give way due some other reason.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

aogdesk

Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:48 am

Please keep us updated as to his health and progress. Very tragic, and this should serve as a reminder to us all of the dangers that we face on these incredible powerful machines.

cainanuk

Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:16 am

I am not an engineer myself (I work in Ops/Dispatch) but I am forever harping on about being safe on the ramp. It IS an inherantly dangerous working environment that we work in. I think that after the day in day out routine of it all, we do get a bit complacent though. This terrible incident should serve as a reminder to us all about the dangers of our working environment, and that danger can lurk in the most inconsequential of things. Hell, just the other night one of our dispatchers damned near lost a finger just closing a door on a Dash.

As for the engineer in question... last I heard he was out of intensive care and listed as stable. Looks like he will make it.
Cainan Cornelius

HAWK21M

Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:04 am

Quoting Cainanuk (Reply 4):
Looks like he will make it.

Glad to hear that.
Was the cause,a wrong procedure of servicing the tire without a regulator,or was it a defect in the Wheel tie bolts.What did the investigation point to.
regds
MEL.

britman

Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:16 pm

Not a very nice accident at all, i am glad that he is ok and will pull through, yes it is a very dangerous environment that all airside employees work in and should definitely respect the territory they work in.I do remember driving past stand 60 where this incident happened, the apron on 60 was all lit up and the portable incident room was on-site and i thought something had gone horribly wrong on the Lufthansa CRJ parked up there, it was only until i popped into the flight support office and spoke to a fellow airport colleague that i was informed of just what had happened, not a nice thing to happen at all,then again i spoke to a few of my other colleagues and they said that allsorts of grisly accidents happen at airports and that we should all be careful out there..this accident is a reminder to not take things for granted when working with aircraft.
Once again i am glad the engineer is okay and that he makes a good recovery.

Regards

steve

HAWK21M

Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:49 am

Quoting Britman (Reply 6):
this accident is a reminder to not take things for granted when working with aircraft.

Safety first should be the policy followed while working on the machine.
regds
MEL.