deaphen

How Long Do Airlines Keep Maintenance Records?

Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:42 pm

Hi:

I was just intrigued to know how long airlines are required to keep their maintenance records. Is there some rule that says that they are able to throw them out after 2 years?

I would be grateful if you could give me your insight of how the rule works in your area.

Warm regards
Nitin
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

A10WARTHOG

RE: How Long Do Airlines Keep Maintenance Records?

Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:03 pm

As far a I know the FAA requires all records be kept, I would assume that would be the same worldwide. If a plane is transferred to a different operator, the records go to that company. I have helped with a record review of an couple part 121 aircraft, all the maintenace ever done on the plane were in the files. It can be a little over whelming looking at all of work that had been done.

HAWK21M

Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:07 pm

DGCA civil Airworthiness Requirements has all the details in Section 2 Airworthiness.
Logbooks,Documents,Records,schedules,release notes,equipment ...all have a time limit & the MOE [memorandum of exposition] under CAR 145 has it all listed as per the norms the airline follows.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

EMBQA

Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:50 pm

The operator of the aircraft must retain the them for the life of the aircraft and/or part....a company that maintains an aircraft can discard their copies of the records after a few years
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

typhaerion

Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:36 am

And in today's digital age, the permanent records only need to be digital, there is a shelf life on paper copies once they are audited. I think at TZ we kept them three years and then the only thing left was the digital.
For some, the sky is the limit. For us, it is only the beginning... -- Jack Hunt

CanadianNorth

Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:58 am

As far as I know airlines will keep the maintenance records for as long as they have the aircraft. When the aircraft is sold, it's mound of maintenance records from day one go with it.

CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

tdscanuck

Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:48 am

Quoting Deaphen (Thread starter):
I was just intrigued to know how long airlines are required to keep their maintenance records. Is there some rule that says that they are able to throw them out after 2 years?

MRO's can do that...owners can't. Even if the regulations allowed it, nobody is going to buy an aircraft with an incomplete maintenance history so, if you ever plan to sell it, you'd better have all the records.

Tom.

Tristarsteve

Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:14 am

Quoting Deaphen (Thread starter):
Is there some rule that says that they are able to throw them out after 2 years?

Just noticed that you said two years. When I do work on an aircraft operated by a customer, under EASA rules I must keep a copy of the work done for two years. I can then throw them away, but the aircraft owner has the originals and keeps them.