sandyb123

Luggage Bin Replacement On Cabin Upgrade?

Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:29 pm

Hi all,

I was just checking out some cabin views of the new NZ cabins and it made me think of a post a couple of weeks ago relating to cabin interiors.

Why do airlines fit new seats, IFE and (perhaps) toilets but leave the old luggage bins and roofs in? I understand that seating is No1 for comfort and 'wear and tear' but from an aesthetic point of view I think the old style luggage bins date the interior and look bad. The old style 767 interiors are particularly bad for this IMO.

Why not upgrade to the 777 style? Would this require side wall replacement too?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jonathan Rankin

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sergey Kustov

Sandyb123

[Edited 2008-11-16 04:31:33]
Member of the mile high club

AFKL

RE: Luggage Bin Replacement On Cabin Upgrade?

Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:39 pm

Sure, it looks much nicer. However, the question here is, is it worth the cost? In these hard economic times it certainly isn't on the top of the "to-do list" of any carrier to update these aspects, which if done fleet-wide, is very costly. Having modern looking over-head luggage bins is not a deciding factor for any customer, whereas having a comfortable and clean seat with a good PTV entertainment system is.

Airlines will have to set their priorities.

Besides, the picture of the Delta 767 you gave as an example is a -400ER model which have only been in service for a couple of years, so these would be delivered with the new over-head bins from day one. Older 767's from Delta don't all have these modern 777 style over-head bins.

ALLARD.
ALLARD. First flight: KLM DC-10, LLW - AMS.

sandyb123

Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:46 pm

It's an interesting argument. Quite a few 'classic interior' 767 operators seem to have made the upgrade. Aesthetically I think it's night and day, is there a weight saving, increased baggage capability or improved safety???

Interestingly Charter Airline First Choice has fitted the new interior on 767's along with some others, but no legacies as far as I can see:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Darren Wilson

View Large View Medium

Photo © Vasco Garcia (VDG-Images)

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ben Wang

View Large View Medium

Photo © John Padgett

N.B The upgrade is different to new build interiors that have the full 777 style:

View Large View Medium

Photo © John Snyder-4A7 Spotters

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

Tod

Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:08 pm

Heath Tecna of Bellingham, Washington, USA has kits that convert existing 767 and 747 bins into a modern looking configuration without the expense of replacing the entire assembly.