voar

Gear Retraction On PZL M-28

Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:02 am

I was browsing todays pictures and the editors choice was of the PZL-Mielec M-28 B1R Bryza. My question is what is up with the landing gear on this aircraft? Is it just me or does it retract sideways and sticks out or am I missing something? Seems like there is no drag reduction at all having it move from straight down to sideways.

Gear up:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mariusz Adamski

Gear down:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Krzysztof Godlewski (EPGD Spotters)

2H4

RE: Gear Retraction On PZL M-28

Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:30 am

It retracts that way so it doesn't block the radar.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

voar

Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:46 am

Ahh... I knew there would be a good answer! Interesting solution to the problem. I suppose the aircraft was specifically designed for the purpose then.

So why not build an aerodynamic fairing and have it retract into that if they already had to install the retraction mechanism? Seems like the current gear pod could have been extended.

Cool aircraft though!

Starlionblue

Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:21 am

Quoting Voar (Reply 2):
So why not build an aerodynamic fairing and have it retract into that if they already had to install the retraction mechanism? Seems like the current gear pod could have been extended.

I would assume that the cost (design+construction+maintenance) of said pods was higher than the efficiency loss.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo