Soxfan
Topic Author

Improvements On The Dreaded "Equipment Box"?

Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:59 am

On planes with seatback TVs in coach, many passengers have complained that the accompanying equipment box, usually located under the seat, significantly restricts legroom. Does anyone know if there are plans to install systems which don't need the box in that location? Are there any systems like that available? Some planes have the box located only at the aisle seats, while others have the box under every seat. I know that each box basically holds everything needed for the TVs to work, but I'm wondering if there's another place that the box can be located to increase underseat storage (which be significant given that carry-ons are getting larger due to checked-baggage fees).

Thanks!

Soxfan  Smile
Pilot: "Request push, which way should we face?" JFK Ground: "You better face the front, sir, or you'll scare the pax!"

A10WARTHOG

RE: Improvements On The Dreaded "Equipment Box"?

Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:34 pm

I would say maybe in the future, but not anytime soon. I work a lot on the Panasonic EX2 system which is a fairly new system, compare to others. The Seat electronic box or SEB is very thin in the coach seat. The SEB is basically a router. The brains for each seat are the monitor. The Seat power module or SPM is what is thick on the coach class seats.