SpeedBirdA380
Topic Author

Automated Taxiways

Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:03 am

I was just thinking to myself would automated taxiways be a good idea?

I'm talking about where you have a guide wire installed in the ground and the vehicle follows that guide wire.Surely it would be especially helpful when there is poor visibility and aircraft cant see other aircraft on the taxiway as the computer could make sure that planes were always kept a certain distance apart and keep things running smoothly without the worry of collisions.

It could also have bigger safety implications. Say for instance if in poor weather an aircraft was taking off and another aircraft misheard instructions and attempted to cross the very same runway the computer could stop that plane when it tried to cross the runway and prevent a major accident.

Could this be something we see in the future?

Just a thought......

oly720man

RE: Automated Taxiways

Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:08 am

At one time a few years ago, Manchester Airport was trialling a "follow the greens" scheme where taxiways were illuminated in succession and the pilot followed the green lights from runway to gate. I'm not sure what came of it though. Maybe too complicated and expensive.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

EmiratesA380

Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:14 am

Seeing how this works very well with cars (I'm pretty sure all Mercedes-Benz vehicles have a radar system that keeps a certain distance between you, and the car in front of you), it should work well with planes. The only problem would be retrofitting the taxiways with this system. Also, if you wanted to retrofit this system in a major airport, such as LHR, it would be tough to stop all traffic on the taxiway being retrofitted and divert it around, and not create delays. But in a new taxiway, there would most likely be no problems with incorporating it into the taxiway.

DingDong

Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:20 am

Well, you would have to retrofit all the possible aircrafts using the airport in question. Including 60 year old aircraft for this idea to be truly effective...  Smile

Currently, there is a programme in various parts of the world studying this such as ADS-B in Europe and Alaska that (amongst many other things) aims to increase situational awareness for all vehicles on the airport grounds.
DingDong, honey, please answer the doorbell!

airbuster

Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:46 am

Quoting Oly720man (Reply 1):
At one time a few years ago, Manchester Airport was trialling a "follow the greens" scheme where taxiways were illuminated in succession and the pilot followed the green lights from runway to gate. I'm not sure what came of it though. Maybe too complicated and expensive.

I believe LHR has this system installed, i can't guarantee it, i've personally only flown in and out of LHR during daytime, but i've heard a few captains mention it to me.

rgds

AB
FLY FOKKER JET LINE!

anonms

Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:08 am

The thought of "automated taxiways" made me think of moving sidewalks but on a scale large enough for a taxiway...
This is my signature.

railker

Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:36 am

But you have to remember that humans will always have that edge computer's don't: the edge of judgment and creativity. It might solve some problems, but I think that in the end,the number of problems created or possible issues that could arise due to power failures, bugs, etc. outweigh and outnumber the benefits and problems it would solve.

rwessel

Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:56 am

Quoting SpeedBirdA380 (Thread starter):
I'm talking about where you have a guide wire installed in the ground and the vehicle follows that guide wire.

A few transmitters spread around the airport to augment a GPS receiver (equipped with an appropriate airport map) would do the same thing, and for a lot less money. IOW, LAAS or JPALS.

vikkyvik

Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:51 am

Quoting EmiratesA380 (Reply 2):
Seeing how this works very well with cars (I'm pretty sure all Mercedes-Benz vehicles have a radar system that keeps a certain distance between you, and the car in front of you), it should work well with planes.

My cousin's dad has a Lexus (I think...) that has this system. It works when you have cruise control on. Although it does technically work, he said it tends to let the car drift to the limit, then brake rather hard.

Quoting Anonms (Reply 5):
The thought of "automated taxiways" made me think of moving sidewalks but on a scale large enough for a taxiway...

I'm going to preempt 2H4 for the good of the thread:

Conveyor Belt.

That is all.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Airbus_A340

Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:51 am

London/Heathrow has a 'Follow the Greens' system installed as some of you have discussed.
The ground controller will say something like "Cathay 254, Follow the Greens to hold at ETTIV"
As you taxi the aircraft, you follow the green taxiway lights, if the green lights discontinue, there is usually a red stop bar, you wait there, another aircraft may pass you and once that aircraft has cleared, the red stop bar disappears and the green lights appear to "continue" the taxi.

It's a great system, I think more airports should have it.
People. They make an airline. www.cathaypacific.com

buckfifty

Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:43 am

Singapore and Incheon have this 'follow the greens' system also. Very good during nighttime ops, but during the daytime in fog, their effectiveness is quite limited.

In the future, I can see ADS-B ground surveillance being the norm, with the aircraft position integrated onto the airport chart in the EFB for easy reference. That would be extremely helpful.