JA
Topic Author

ATL - Hardstand Setup?

Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:18 pm

We have already established that a hardstand isn't the best option for servicing passengers. Having said that, it seems that hardstanding may be a way to establish some sort of demand until new facilities open up.

1) Would the hardstand be set up at a remote parking pad or somewhere else?

2) Are there any airlines that are using hardstands now at a major airport?

3) Are the cost to use a hardstand the same or cheaper than a regular gate?

4) What are potential considerations for hardstand operations? (weather, wind, jetwash, noise etc.)

thegman

RE: ATL - Hardstand Setup?

Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:17 pm

DCA uses a hardstand remote setup for RJ and other US Airways express flights. Passengers board a bus that takes them to the aircraft. Boarding by zones is null and void in that situation, and you can even be taken to the wrong aircraft by the bus driver. I have been taken to the wrong aircraft before in DCA.

FlyDeltaJets

Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:01 pm

We use hardstands for our RJ ops in here in JFK. Noise is a factor but it is only for a small amount of time. Jetblast not really a major issue.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

PGNCS

Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:31 pm

I don't understand the title of your thread, JA. What does this thread specifically have to do with Atlanta?
If you have been to Europe, you know that remote pads/hardstands are very common at airports of all sizes there, including Manchester, Paris, etc. It isn't a great solution, but it's cheap and faster to put in service than terminal space. They are not unheard of for commuter and mainline operations in the US either, with JFK springing to mind immediately on both accounts.

JA
Topic Author

Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:03 pm

It has been stated in the past that due to space constraints, any new airline that wishes to use ATL may have to use remote pads. My question was to ask whether the remote pads would have a negative impact on the image and/or operational aspects of an airline's service. I was not aware that hardstands are widely used in Europe.