AirBowl
Topic Author

A380 Meeting Performance Benchmarks?

Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:11 am

Tried searching, but to no avail. . .

Just wondering how the A380 is currently performing in the real world as compared to manufacturer specs? Fuel, severe malfunctions, part replacement schedules, etc.?

Thanks for any info.

AirBowl

Alessandro

RE: A380 Meeting Performance Benchmarks?

Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:56 am

From what I read the fuelconsumtion is better than expected, since the commercial fleet of
the A380 is young and only 22 planes have flown, 13 commercally so far 2200 flights and flown 21k hours, it´s hard to answer that.
There´s been two part failures AFAIK (one generator for SIA and an electrical shortcircuit for
EK probably due to left behind tools from Airbus).
There´s even more room for better fuelconsumtion since SIA wanted a quiet engine to fly to
airports like LHR at larger part of the day, it costed 2% higher fuelconsumtion. If an -F model is made and it will fly to smaller airports with less noise regulations, perhaps such engine could be made which is better on the fuelconsumtion.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

Stitch

Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:49 pm

Last I heard it is meeting or exceeding all of it's performance benchmarks even though it was a bit over planned weight thanks to better then expected improvements in other areas that canceled out the drawbacks. And since the plane is just going to get better over time...

astuteman

Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:39 pm

Quoting AirBowl (Thread starter):
Just wondering how the A380 is currently performing in the real world as compared to manufacturer specs? Fuel, severe malfunctions, part replacement schedules, etc.?

As far as I'm aware, the plane is hitting its range/payload/fuel burn targets, or better, despite being 5 tonnes overweight.

Quoting Stitch (Reply 2):
Last I heard it is meeting or exceeding all of it's performance benchmarks even though it was a bit over planned weight thanks to better then expected improvements in other areas that canceled out the drawbacks

As Stitch said, I think the engines have come in about 1% better than target, and Lift/Drag about 2% better, offsetting the extra weight.

Of interest,
Airbus are programming a 3.5 tonne reduction in the airframe.
EK are programming a 1.5 tonne reduction in the cabin fittings
The EA are programming a (further) 2% reduction in SFC
RR have a similar (but undisclosed number) improvement planned.
Further aerodynamic enhancements are planned

All pretty much expected to be complete by 2012

Thread below may be of interest (he says, blatantly self-advertising  Smile )
Sorry about that.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/tech_ops/read.main/241531/

Rgds