Alessandro
Topic Author

Stirling Engines As Cooling?

Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:08 am

A Taiwanese company uses Stirling engine to cool the computerchip, http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=newsdesc&news_no=591
I wonder if this could be used on the Cessna Skymaster´s rear engine, since it´s notorious to overheating or the Adamaircraft?
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

Fly2HMO

RE: Stirling Engines As Cooling?

Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:22 pm

Quoting Alessandro (Thread starter):
I wonder if this could be used on the Cessna Skymaster´s rear engine,

I don't see why you'd want to have 3 engines on a plane if only 2 of them will produce power, so it really just is useless weight added to the plane.

And in that motherboard, the Stirling engine itself isn't doing the cooling, the fan blowing air over the heat sink is doing that. The Stirling engine is just converting the heat from the CPU into motion to drive the fan.

I think a more viable solution for the skymaster would be liquid cooling, that way you can place a radiator in a convenient location, or some form of hybrid liquid/air cooling which can be seen on many modified VW bugs.

[Edited 2009-01-10 10:24:00]

Alessandro
Topic Author

Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:21 am

Well, I had mind more than one stirling engine. One reason is to improve drag, no air inlets needed, less risk of FOD. Also when you stand with the motor running or stopped the engine, cooling is going on
until the engine is cooled off, still the hot air from engine will run the stirling engines
The advantage compared with having liquid system is that is less maintenance and
pumping the liquid around steals power from the engine.
Problems? Yes, if in cold weather you need to stop the stirling engine from working and of course added weight and space in the engine bay needed.

FredT

Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:57 am

If getting cooling air flow at low air speeds is the problem, there are solutions which do not include adding the weight and complexity of an engine or the power consumption of a fan. One example is using ejectors, i e having nozzles outputting gas under pressure in the cooling air outlet. You could probably use engine exhaust for this, even though I've only seen it used in fast jets.

Pusher engines have always been troublesome in this respect, and I think FLY2HMO is right in suggesting liquid cooling for those.
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

Alessandro
Topic Author

Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:56 am

But there´s no extra fuel consumption since the Stirling runs on hot air (temperature differences). Stirling engines are very good at certain things being a cooler is one.
Liquid cooling system is the traditional solution, so sure.