readytotaxi

AVOD, How Does It Work?

Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:24 pm

Is the system a computer/server type thing with movies and audio stored on a hard disk?
Is it that simple?  Yeah sure
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

Tristarsteve

RE: AVOD, How Does It Work?

Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:21 pm

Yes the movies and audio are stored on a server.
And no its not simple!
When you select a movie, the whole movie is downloaded to the box under your seat. This is how you can stop and start your movie separate from other pax.
The problems arise from all the interactions from other systems. Like when a PA is made, it stops all the movies. On the handset there are controls for movies, and for reading light and call bell which is completely different system, part of the aircraft, not the AVOD.
And loads of aircraft are still flying with non-AVOD systems, where the movies are on Hi-8 tapes which you can see at the purser station.
Biggest problems are the handsets and underseat boxes. Passengers are prone to pulling the handset out of the armrest, and kicking the boxes. Disturb the wrong plug on a seat box and the whole row can go down.
But yes a computor is at its heart, and power off and restart cures a lot of problems!

SP90

Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:56 pm

Why not put the local boxes under the passenger floor instead of under seats. That way the person behind won't be able to kick at it. I'm also curious as to what type of hard disk are used. The constant vibration of flight ops cannot be good for regular spinning hard disk drives.

A10WARTHOG

Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:37 pm

The seat boxes come from the seat manufacture already installed. Plus you would need access panels all over you floor boards. Easy access is the key and I can tell you even the now some seat boxes are a pain to get to.

geotrash

Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:56 pm

Interesting, I always wondered the same thing so thanks for asking the question and thanks to folks for posting what they know. Like most things in aviation, the state of the installed base appears to be well behind the state of the art because of the long cycle times of systems from design to certification and testing.

Thanks to cheap flash memory, virtualization and thin client systems, I can envision that the next gen AVOD systems might eliminate the box under the seat or at least make it wallet sized, eliminating the problem.

Anyone know the technical details of the AVOD systems- OS, hardware, etc.?

Dave

A10WARTHOG

Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:07 pm

Quoting Geotrash (Reply 4):
Thanks to cheap flash memory, virtualization and thin client systems, I can envision that the next gen AVOD systems might eliminate the box under the seat or at least make it wallet sized, eliminating the problem.

Already there, well almost. On the EX2 system if you have a DSEB seatbox, which is most common in your coach and Biz seat, they are thinner than most guys wallets and only a little bigger than a CD case. The reason why is because the brains of each seat is the monitor. The DSEB is a router, that connects the seat monitor to the ADB (Area Distribution Box), which are located in the ceiling. The ADB connects to the CEC, (Central equipment center) where your servers are located.

SP90

Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:48 pm

Quoting A10warthog (Reply 5):
Already there, well almost. On the EX2 system if you have a DSEB seatbox, which is most common in your coach and Biz seat, they are thinner than most guys wallets and only a little bigger than a CD case. The reason why is because the brains of each seat is the monitor. The DSEB is a router, that connects the seat monitor to the ADB (Area Distribution Box), which are located in the ceiling. The ADB connects to the CEC, (Central equipment center) where your servers are located.

How very interesting. So the monitor in the seatback in really like a Tablet PC almost. If that is the case then surely it can handle the additional task of routing as well thus eliminating the CD sized, wallet thin thingy altogether. Perhaps in the next product release? Thanks for the insight.

A10WARTHOG

Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:52 pm

Quoting SP90 (Reply 6):
So the monitor in the seatback in really like a Tablet PC almost. If that is the case then surely it can handle the additional task of routing as well thus eliminating the CD sized, wallet thin thingy altogether. Perhaps in the next product release?

Maybe, it would have to change the way the system works right now. I guess it is possible, but it would take more wiring and I think would have to have one monitor in the seat group being the router. You have to take in account that you have two ethernet wires running from the ADB down to you floor or sidewall disconnect. From there you hook up to your first seat and then Daisy chain through your DSEB to wherever your column ends. I would say normally 6 to 7 seats.

But I just fix the system, I do not design them.

readytotaxi

Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:47 pm

Thanks everyone for the input.  Smile
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

nycbjr

Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:55 pm

Quoting Geotrash (Reply 4):
AVOD systems- OS

the one's that i have seen on DL are linux, always amuses me when IC the system rebooted and the Penguin shows up  Smile

oh I'm a linux sysadmin so maybe that's why it amuses me  Silly

tdscanuck

Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:02 am

Quoting SP90 (Reply 2):
Why not put the local boxes under the passenger floor instead of under seats.

In addition to the access problems, the underfloor area is *very* cramped. Besides the floor beams, you've got tons or wire bundles running in that area that can't easily be moved or disturbed. Above the center wing tank, you may have as little as 1-2" of clearance between the bottom of the floor panel and the top of the wing.

Also, there are certification requirements regarding smoke migration from the cargo hold to the passenger compartment, so you'd have to put a seal on each and every one of the pass-throughs between the boxes and the seats, which is certainly possible but not something I suspect anybody wants to do.

Tom.

A10WARTHOG

Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:33 pm

Quoting Tdscanuck (Reply 10):
Above the center wing tank, you may have as little as 1-2" of clearance between the bottom of the floor panel and the top of the wing.

I forgot about the clearance issue. I hate having to work the floor disconnects over the center tank.

DocLightning

Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:53 pm

Quoting SP90 (Reply 2):
Why not put the local boxes under the passenger floor instead of under seats. That way the person behind won't be able to kick at it.

1) They'd be sticking into the cargo compartment where shifting cargo (or shifting rampers) could damage them.

2) How you supposed to fix one without crawling under the floor?

3) What about those ones over the wing spar?

I think the newer systems don't have an under-seat box anymore, the entire thing can fit into the seatback. It's still pretty amazing that it works at all.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

A10WARTHOG

Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:32 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 12):
It's still pretty amazing that it works at all.

I takes times and some cases a big headache.