Glom
Topic Author

Helicopter Anti-icing

Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:46 am

Surely helicopters have anti-icing on the rotors. Prop planes have them for the props.

What about the S-92? That doesn't seem to have anti-icing because they keep cancelling flights due to cold weather. It's hovering at freezing point at the moment. Surely this cannot be exceptional for a helicopter, particularly one that is being used NEAR THE ARCTIC CIRCLE!

deaphen

RE: Helicopter Anti-icing

Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:25 pm

Quoting Glom (Thread starter):
Surely this cannot be exceptional for a helicopter, particularly one that is being used NEAR THE ARCTIC CIRCLE!

Haha, that last sentence of yours reminded me of Dr. Evil from Austin Powers.... "NEAR THE ARCTIC CIRCLE".

Smile

Anyways, moving on, i assume that helicopters also require de-icing, though im sure there are more experienced people on here to comment on that.

Nitin
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

Shhpanked

Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:42 pm

I want to say the S-92 has an engine anti-ice system but that's it.

Anyways, anti-ice system for the rotor system itself is fairly uncommon simply because of the added weight and complexity. But the ones that do have anti-ice systems in place pump bleed air along the leading edge of each rotor. I've also heard of leaking glycol along the trailing edge of the rotor but couldn't give any examples off the top of my head.

However, there is research being done on ultrasonic pulses to help remove ice build up. I literally have no idea if it's operational or in the development stages.

[Edited 2009-02-07 05:59:10]
People fly airplanes and pilots fly helicopters.

flypig687

Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:55 pm

According to the Sikorsky Website the S-92 has an optional Rotor Ice Protection System (RIPS), it is just possible those models were purchased without the system installed.

The RIPS system uses heated wire and materials in the rotors

B6JFKH81

Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:20 pm

Quoting Flypig687 (Reply 3):
The RIPS system uses heated wire and materials in the rotors

Would this be an electrical based system? I have always wondered about rotor & prop IPSs...

Quoting Shhpanked (Reply 2):
But the ones that do have anti-ice systems in place pump bleed air along the leading edge of each rotor.

Wow, that has to be one complex system! Does the system also heat the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer or the tail rotors? Would love to see a diagram for this system!
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"