HAWK21M
Topic Author

Tactile Warnings.

Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:56 am

Apart from Aural & Visual warnings.What would constitute tactile warnings?
regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Starlionblue

RE: Tactile Warnings.

Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:02 am

Aural and Visual are not tactile.  Wink

My guess is the only tactile warnings are feedback through controls like yoke, pedals, throttle.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:19 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 1):

Aural and Visual are not tactile.

What I meants was" apart from warnings that are of Aural & Visual".What warnings are tactile ?
Rephrased same.  Smile
regds
MEL

boeing767mech

Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:17 am

A stick shaker would be a tactile warning.

David
Never under-estimate the predictably of stupidty

longhauler

Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:12 pm

Also the feel of various knobs in the cockpit are made to feel different. But, probably more of a tactile reminder, than a warning.

For example, the Altitude select knob will feel different from the speed knob or the V/S knob.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

KELPkid

Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:11 pm

If one were to fly a GA plane with unboosted controls on the back side of the power curve (low airspeed, high power required to maintain flight), the controls feel very "mushy" (little force required to move the controls around), because the normal aerodynamic loads on the control surfaces that cause the pilot's controls to resist movement are greatly reduced. This is an example of a tactile warning (in this case, that you are near a stall and should probably take action to increase power and reduce angle of attack).

The normal reaction for a plane with unboosted controls is that control forces tend to increase with the increase in speed.
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

Moose135

Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:17 pm

Quoting LongHauler (Reply 4):
Also the feel of various knobs in the cockpit are made to feel different. But, probably more of a tactile reminder, than a warning.

Which is why the landing gear handle has an end shaped like a wheel, and the flap handle has an airfoil shape. (At least that was the way they were when I was flying with Orville and Wilbur!)

I remember when I flew a "complex" piston (coming from a KC-135 it didn't seem too complex, but...) the mixture, throttle and prop controls all had different shaped knobs on the ends as well.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

tdscanuck

Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:26 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Thread starter):
What would constitute tactile warnings?

Stickshaker and stickpusher would definitely fall in that catagory. In a FBW airliner with force feedback, you could consider the whole backdrive system a tactile warning (or at least a tactile feedback).

Quoting Moose135 (Reply 6):
Which is why the landing gear handle has an end shaped like a wheel, and the flap handle has an airfoil shape. (At least that was the way they were when I was flying with Orville and Wilbur!)

Still true on Boeing, at least through the 787. Thrust levers, flap lever, speedbrakes, gear handle, fuel cutoff, trims, and the light switches all have very distinct knobs so you can recognize them by feel.

Tom.

Jetlagged

Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:09 am

Quoting Tdscanuck (Reply 7):
In a FBW airliner with force feedback, you could consider the whole backdrive system a tactile warning (or at least a tactile feedback).

That would apply to any flight control with an artificial feel unit, not just FBW. It's not really a warning, it's normal operation. However if, as on the 777, this force feedback is increased if you go beyond envelope limits then that definitely is a tactile warning.

A different kind of tactile feedback exists on the Airbus FBW, where the sidestick is held in the centre with autopilot engaged requiring a significant extra force to move it (and so disengage the autopilot)
The glass isn't half empty, or half full, it's twice as big as it needs to be.

simpilot459

Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:42 am

Could you consider buffet before a stall a tactile warning?
Take off: Optional Landing: Mandatory

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:31 am

I think Stall warning is one tactile warning.
regds
MEL