gilesdavies

Air Transat's - Fuel Management Program...

Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:57 pm

You may have read this below link previously, but it goes into a lot of detail about how Air Transat's fuel management program, and how they save as much fuel as possible...

http://www.transat.com/en/social.res...gas.reduction.fuel.management.aspx

I appreciate alot of this may just be marketing hype, to make them sound good, but I was interested to hear from people who work for other airlines and how their polcies compare...

It was interesting to read how they only taxi with one engine and also how their aircrafts might fly at a lower speed to reduce fuel burn even if it adds additional time on to the journey. I was surprised by this one, as Air Transat is a charter airline and airlines in this sector usually optimise usage of these aircrafts to the max!

longhauler

RE: Air Transat's - Fuel Management Program...

Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:07 am

Quoting Gilesdavies (Thread starter):
It was interesting to read how they only taxi with one engine and also how their aircrafts might fly at a lower speed to reduce fuel burn even if it adds additional time on to the journey.

Most airlines I would imagine, do this. At Air Canada, its called a "tactical slowdown". If the estimated arrival time is more than 10 minutes early, and with the concurrence of SOC (system operations control) the aircraft FMS is reduced to a cost index of 0.

There are a lot of reasons why a Tactical Slowdown would not be in the best interest, but when it is, it can save a lot of fuel.

Also, most airlines taxi on one engine, (or with one engine shut down) when conditions permit.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Soku39

RE: Air Transat's - Fuel Management Program...

Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:57 pm

Are you sure Air Transat is the airline to study for this... especially after that whole dual engine failure deadstick into the Azores deal. Big grin

Serious answer though, the arrival portion of the flight can often determine whether or not it's profitable. If ATC get's you down into that warm air too early, gives bad vectors, or you have to go around, or go missed... well all those situations use a ton of fuel, and most pilots try to avoid them for the sake of company (without jeopardizing safety).
The Ohio Player