SafetyDude
Topic Author

Number Of Commerical ADS-B Equipped A/C?

Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:43 pm

As the title implies, does anyone know how many commercial aircraft worldwide are ADS-B equipped?

Also, do any planes today get delivered with ADS-B automatically included, or is it an optional feature for all new-built jets?
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

Fly2HMO

RE: Number Of Commerical ADS-B Equipped A/C?

Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:32 pm

I don't know of any airlines (in the US at least) that are so equipped, but I wouldn't be surprised if some small part 135 or even part 121 operators in Alaska had the equipment.

In my 5 years of using the system, I've yet to see any other (non-ERAU) aircraft in my display that are ADS-B equipped as well.

avent

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:11 pm

I was interested in this question since I was considering buying an ADS-B receiver like Airnav's radarbox so as to know what the flyovers were. I subscribe to the planeplotter network and see about 5 - 15% of the overflights as having ADS-B. I decided against purchasing it for now. I believe in a few years most commercial aircraft will participate and will re-visit the notion of purchasing a radarbox type receiver at that time.

An interesting selection effect is that since foreign carriers are more likely to use ADS-B, they tend to disproportionately show up in detections! Also, such flights are more likely to be detected near major destinations and along routes linking them such as NY - LAX .

DescendVia

Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:26 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 1):
I don't know of any airlines (in the US at least) that are so equipped

Actually ADS is what is being invested in right now. All the 747 and 777 aircraft at United are full up CNS/ATM (FANS) equipped. So right there is about 80+ that have ADS, along with everything else that comes standard in the FANS Pegasus FMC/MCDU. Its actually filled as equipped in ICAO flight plans as well. I.E. B744/H-SDGHIRWYZ/SD