Faro
Topic Author

Surfing While In The Cruise?

Tue May 19, 2009 9:59 am

Flight Crew are often pictured with portable PC's on the flightdeck being used for various operational purposes. Do these portables also have access to internet feeds, Outlook accounts, etc? If so, are there any restrictions placed by operators on the time spent surfing or emailing while in the cruise?

Faro
The chalice not my son

wilco737

RE: Surfing While In The Cruise?

Tue May 19, 2009 10:11 am

Quoting Faro (Thread starter):
Do these portables also have access to internet feeds, Outlook accounts, etc? If so, are there any restrictions placed by operators on the time spent surfing or emailing while in the cruise?

I have a normal laptop from the company with a private and a duty partition. The private part is a normal windows XP platform with all its features. WiFi is available as well, but we do not have internet connection on board. And we are not allowed to use the laptop while at work, only for operational reasons, like performance calculation, checking the MEL or some other handbooks which are on the laptop as well.

wilco737

HAWK21M

Tue May 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Officially I don't think any Airline would permit use of the personal Laptop by an "operating crew" during the Flight,irrespective if in cruise.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

EireRock

Wed May 20, 2009 4:38 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 1):
only for operational reasons, like performance calculation, checking the MEL or some other handbooks which are on the laptop as well.

WILCO737, have you been on the LH 320 flightdeck recently? They have the security camera screen to the left of the sidestick but i have also seen a bigger version of this screen on the sliding window ledge, just wondered what it was? Maybe instead of carrying laptops for performance & MEL etc LH are fitting on-board access to these items. It looked like a touch-screen.

wilco737

Wed May 20, 2009 10:44 pm

Quoting EireRock (Reply 3):
WILCO737, have you been on the LH 320 flightdeck recently? They have the security camera screen to the left of the sidestick but i have also seen a bigger version of this screen on the sliding window ledge, just wondered what it was?

not only on the 320s, whole fleet. And not only left, on the right as well  Smile

We will get the EFB (electronic flight bag) soon, then the laptops will be put somewhere in the cockpit into a docking station and then we can use a screen on the right of me or on the left of the captain for all the data on the laptop. but only for the duty stuff. Rest is not accessible from there.

wilco737

PGNCS

Wed May 20, 2009 10:56 pm

Much like reading, we are prohibited from personal PC use in the cockpit.

Faro
Topic Author

Wed May 20, 2009 11:08 pm

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 5):
Much like reading, we are prohibited from personal PC use in the cockpit

Funny I recall having read threads re "boredom" on longish flights which mentioned reading to pass the time. Do some operators allow reading while others don't?

Faro
The chalice not my son

LH526
Crew

Thu May 21, 2009 2:09 pm

Quoting EireRock (Reply 3):
WILCO737, have you been on the LH 320 flightdeck recently? They have the security camera screen to the left of the sidestick but i have also seen a bigger version of this screen on the sliding window ledge, just wondered what it was?

The LH A346 have them only on the CPTs side IIRC .... they are EFB screens .... I heard of more than one CPT smashing the screen while opening / closing the cockpit window  Wink
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

wilco737

Thu May 21, 2009 7:01 pm

Quoting LH526 (Reply 7):
The LH A346 have them only on the CPTs side IIRC .... they are EFB screens .... I heard of more than one CPT smashing the screen while opening / closing the cockpit window Wink

Don't know exactly about the 346. Maybe with the EFB it has changed. We don't have the EFB - yet  Smile

Smashing the screens? Bad boys  duck 

wilco737

PGNCS

Sat May 23, 2009 3:13 am

Quoting Faro (Reply 6):
Funny I recall having read threads re "boredom" on longish flights which mentioned reading to pass the time. Do some operators allow reading while others don't?

I do not know what all operators allow, but as I said we aren't allowed to read or use personal computers on duty (unless we are back on our crew rest.) I would be surprised to see an airline that explicitly allowed personal reading (or surfing) on duty.