lrdc9

Rubber On The Runway

Sat May 30, 2009 2:16 am

After seeing a recent post here on A.nut which listed an LAX runway as undergoing maintnence to "remove rubber" I had a sudden question. Just how much rubber is deposited on a commercial airorts runway?? And how often does it have to be removed. Thanks for all your enlightened answers to come!  Smile
Just say NO to scabs.

Acey559

RE: Rubber On The Runway

Sat May 30, 2009 2:22 am

I would imagine that at a busy airport like LAX, removing rubber would be a fairly regular occurrence. However, with a rather dry climate, it might not have as much of an impact at somewhere like ORD, ATL, or JFK. Reverted rubber hydroplaning is always a concern when landing at an airport that has a damp runway and is covered in rubber, so I would imagine that removing rubber would be pretty frequent.

Dalmd88

Sat May 30, 2009 3:12 am

Quoting Acey559 (Reply 1):
However, with a rather dry climate, it might not have as much of an impact at somewhere like ORD, ATL, or JFK.

I'm just guessing here, but I think it might be a bigger problem in a dry area. I know from watching a lot of racing, the big complant with rain just before the race is it tends to wash a lot of the rubber of the track. The race guys like it because more rubber on the track gives better grip.

calpsafltskeds

Sat May 30, 2009 4:54 am

It was at LAX where a CO DC10 aborted takeoff during rain while departing eastbound. Rubber on the runway, primarily used for arrivals (westbound direction) was said to contribute to braking problems of the DC10, which overran the runway.
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/

LAXintl

Sat May 30, 2009 5:37 am

At LAX rubber removal is done on rotating basis, with each runway is worked on a bi-monthly basis. (for reference while 4 runways, its really 8 landing sections to cover).

The rubber removal consist of a mix of cleanings with chemicals and water blasting.

Build up of rubber deposits is definitely a safety hazard and will eventually lead to deterioration of the pavement skid-resistance, and reduction in friction coefficients.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

ikramerica

Sat May 30, 2009 6:04 am

I imagine that even though rubber is waterproof and grinds into the pavement, in places with frequent heavy rains, snows, ice+salting, etc. it also gets worn off by the weather.

Los Angeles doesn't get much rain, snow or ice. This is why our roads get so slick when it does rain, as all of the built up rubber and oil that would have washed off in the frequent rains in other environments instead become slick and dangerous in California.

You'll never see as many cars off the side of roads and embankments simply due to rain as you will in California. It's comical (as long as nobody dies, of course).
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.