nema

Tyre Blow Out

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:55 pm

I am both surprised and pleased that we dont hear much of tyres blowing out particularly at a vulnerable time such as when landing.

I often wonder when flying on such as a 737 or A320 etc... how one tyre would cope on a twin axle if the other burst on landing. For some reason i always felt that although more costly, the four wheel axles look more stable and safe.

Is there a more regular occurrence of tyre bursts than we are aware of and...whats their life span?
There isnt really a dark side to the moon, as a matter of fact its all dark!

Viscount724

RE: Tyre Blow Out

Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:48 pm

Quoting NEMA (Thread starter):
Is there a more regular occurrence of tyre bursts than we are aware of

Following incdent 2 days ago from Transport Canada daily occurrence summary.

Air Canada dispatch called reporting Air Canada Flight ACA245, an Airbus A320 IFR Edmonton (CYEG) to Vancouver (CYVR), had blown a tire on departure from CYEG. The aircraft landed safely at CYVR at 2119Z.

GST

Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:04 pm

It does happen occasionally, and is treated as an emergency as there is a remote possibility of brake fires resulting. There are strict regulations in europe and the US at least that tyres must adhere to. On a twin wheel gear leg, one tyre must be able to take the entire landing force of the aircraft touching down, eg if one main gear goes down before the other, with one tyre burst on the first leg down.

This is basically the reason you dont see single wheels on airliners' gear legs. Redundancy, as with everything else aviation.

tdscanuck

Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:46 am

Quoting NEMA (Thread starter):
I often wonder when flying on such as a 737 or A320 etc... how one tyre would cope on a twin axle if the other burst on landing.

Just fine. It's a design requirement.

Tom.

Tristarsteve

Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:31 am

Wasn't always so. I remember when the TSO for tyres was changed about 1981 ish.
TSC-C62 was upgraded to this new requirement. Before that a tyre failure quickly failed the other tyre and the aircraft ended up on its axle.
Happened to me once in BAH. Tristar departure at 0030 abandoned take off and ended up with the axle buried in the tarmac. We had to jack the whole aircraft up to get it out. Not popular with the B747 operators as 8 B742s diverted to DOH that night as we blocked the only runway for 8 hours!