VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Fuel Efficiency GTF Vs Turboprop

Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:20 pm

I may be a bit premature in asking this question, but I'm wondering whether any data has been published comparing the fuel efficiency of PW's geared turbofan to that of a turboprop/propeller combination giving an equivalent thrust. Is the GTF closer to the standard turbofan or the turboprop in its fuel efficiency? Obviously I realise fuel efficiency depends on the flight profile to a fair extent, but I'm wondering if any general conclusions have been drawn comparing the two engine types?

Cheers

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

tdscanuck

RE: Fuel Efficiency GTF Vs Turboprop

Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:23 am

Quoting VirginFlyer (Thread starter):
I may be a bit premature in asking this question, but I'm wondering whether any data has been published comparing the fuel efficiency of PW's geared turbofan to that of a turboprop/propeller combination giving an equivalent thrust.

I haven't seen any hard data but, going of first principles, the equivalent thrust turboprop should be more efficient at equal technology levels at lower speed. The efficiency of a turboprop drops off at higher speed so, up higher, the GTF could be better.

Quoting VirginFlyer (Thread starter):
Is the GTF closer to the standard turbofan or the turboprop in its fuel efficiency?

Closer to turbofan. The GTF doesn't really change any of the fundamental relationships, it just hikes up the turbine efficiency because you decouple the turbine and fan speeds.

Tom.