HAWK21M
Topic Author

Cage Code Number Of Vendors.

Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:55 pm

Anyone aware of the history & reason for Commercial and Goverment Entity (CAGE) code number for aircraft parts vendors.
regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

txjim

RE: Cage Code Number Of Vendors.

Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:29 pm

It's not just for aircraft parts, it's required on every drawing created for a government contract. It establishes traceability to the origin. For example, my company could be on contract to design a product but typically that's not a guarantee that we will be on contract to actually build the product for full production. The CAGE code on the original drawings points to my company, regardless of who is reading the dwg.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:38 am

Quoting Txjim (Reply 1):
The CAGE code on the original drawings points to my company, regardless of who is reading the dwg.

who ensure accountability of this code.Is there a regulatory monitoring dept overlooking this.
regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

jambrain

Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:33 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 2):
who ensure accountability of this code.Is there a regulatory monitoring dept overlooking this.
regds
MEL.

Check out
http://www.dlis.dla.mil/cage_welcome.asp

If you want a Commercial And Government Entity Code, or CAGE Code. It's a unique identifier assigned to suppliers (to various government or defense agencies) as well as to government agencies themselves and also various organizations.

Widely used in ATA Spec2000 which is the backbone of the aviation industry's current e-business processes.

JamB
Jambrain