AverageUser
Topic Author

MD-11 Folks, Were FCC-907/908 Ever Mandated?

Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:07 am

If you can understand my question, you might be able to help. I'm located some NTSB recommendations on the subject, but it's all blank in the search for the actual ADs. Could it be they were never actually mandated? Seach your circular files please.

wilco737

RE: MD-11 Folks, Were FCC-907/908 Ever Mandated?

Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:22 am

Quoting AverageUser (Thread starter):
Could it be they were never actually mandated? Seach your circular files please.

I don't have a clue. Big grin Don't even know where to look it up. If I meet one of the guys who knows this, I'll ask.

wilco737

747classic

Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:03 pm

I searched also on the Internet, no result. I think (hopefully I am wrong) all the recommendations of the NTSB are still not covered in an AD.
But what strikes me when I read all the articles about this topic (MD10 versus MD11), that the FAA allowed an airline to fly two airplanes with a totally different flying behavior on a common type rating.
The attempt to make the MD11 more equal to the MD10 via software updates FCC 907/908 was not very successful, see all the incidents en accidents that happened after that.
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

747classic

Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:33 pm

Quoting AverageUser (Thread starter):
If you can understand my question, you might be able to help. I'm located some NTSB recommendations on the subject, but it's all blank in the search for the actual ADs. Could it be they were never actually mandated

I found something on the following link :
http://www.nolan-law.com/crash-point...-11s-vulnerability-during-landing/

The following text is relevant :

The NTSB urged that the FAA to require the installation of new LSAS software, known as the Flight Control Computer upgrade (FCC-908) to render the airplane less susceptible to over control. The FAA never required this upgrade, but it was installed in all MD-11s worldwide nonetheless. The NTSB closed this recommendation as "Acceptable Alternate Action." Well, the change was made to all U.S.-registered MD-11s, including the one that just crashed at Tokyo. Clearly, upgraded LSAS was not sufficient to cure the MD-11's shaky and demanding landing characteristics.
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.